Talk

Advanced search

Weaning day 2 - odd 'strands' in poo...any thoughts?

(25 Posts)
Peaches174 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:52:39

Hello, have just started weaning DS (26wks) and have noticed in the 2 poo's he has done in last 24hrs that there are some little black strands in it - does this sound normal?
All other nappy elements are completely as usual and he seems a-ok.

He's eaten/chucked around/smeared on face:
Steamed pear - given in chunks
About half a rice cake with cream cheese
1/3 mashed banana
tiny bit of sweet potato -mashed

At first thought it might be banana seeds but actually doesn't look like them, I cut the banana out of his diet today and it's still in the poo.

Should i take a nappy to the doctors?

Also - BLW - how on earth do you cope with the frickin' mess??! does it get easier?

Thanks for your thoughts!

BertieBotts Sun 27-Sep-09 19:55:13

It's the banana It takes a few days to clear through his system.

I get the lumps up with either a piece of kitchen roll (if sticky/sloppy) or a dustpan and brush, then mop or hoover the floor.

bluebump Sun 27-Sep-09 19:55:48

Oh yes it's the banana! I would never had know that if it wasn't for MN so I was prepared for it! grin

NorkilyChallenged Sun 27-Sep-09 19:56:44

It's banana. Honest.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 19:57:12

Hahah the perennial 'what the hell did he eat' question when weaning grin - We haven't had one of those for a while grin

You wait till he starts eating wax crayons. Claggy yet bizarre coloured poo comes out the next day!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 19:58:15

Oh and a good squirt of washing up liquid plus a bit of disinfectant in a spray bottle is good for spraying the floor/walls etc and lifts stuff brilliantly by making everything slick so you can wipe it up with kitchen towel.

OmicronPersei8 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:59:50

Banana on clothes is the worst - get it out as soon as you can. Those black bits are so hard to shift.

Peaches174 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:32:09

Oh my god I'm so embarrassed - The shame!
Has this question been asked a million times before?

I was really worried!

wheredidiputit Sun 27-Sep-09 20:48:01

It's ok we have all been there and done that.

My mum took my sister (her 3rd) to the doctor because my sister nappy was red and mum thought she had a realy bad UTI.

It turned out my sister had eaten lots of beetroot grin.

Peaches174 Sun 27-Sep-09 21:05:06

Genius! Glad I'm not the only one. I've got beetroot to try this week but i need to get some plastic sheeting for the entire kitchen before I let the little imp near it

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 21:54:54

Ah don't worry - and the answer is usually 'it's banana' grin

One of my BF rushed her six month old to A&E because she saw 'long wormy strands that looked like bits of intestine' in her child's poo - again - banana. Now if you'd done that, we'd be laughing. wink

SoupDragon Sun 27-Sep-09 21:57:21

I knew it was banana from the thread title

colditz Sun 27-Sep-09 21:58:38

banana. I knew this before I even read what he'd eaten.

Peaches174 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:10:53

I've still not stopped cringing! Shame on me. I hate banana as well, is the devils food and to be avoided at all costs!

I saw your thread title and thought "banana".

My mother actually called the doctor after she'd given me banana for the first time and has never quite lived it down, so I was prepared...

Peaches174 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:26:45

This is what happens when you don't have any experience of babies, when he was born I could barely tell one end from the other and things have evidently not got much better!

SoupDragon Mon 28-Sep-09 19:56:13

Ah, but now you'll be able to say "Has s/he had banana?" when someone screams "OMG! There are black worms in my baby's nappy!"

PinkTulips Mon 28-Sep-09 19:58:52

i knew before i opened the thread he'd have eaten banana grin

i spent 3 days convinced ds2 had worms about two months ago, spent far too long poking in nappies and frantically googling, took me ages to figure it out blush

Peaches174 Tue 29-Sep-09 13:11:50

That's what I thought it was- dead tapeworms! How utterly disgusting. Before I do another stupid post is there anything else that causes odd poo?!

PinkTulips Tue 29-Sep-09 13:58:09

blueberries make it black.... like really black, worse again if it's blueberry juice.

oats and wholegrainy stuff cause little flecks hat lue themselves to the babies bum and take about 200 wipes per nappy change to scrape off.

and raisans if eaten by the type of child who doesn't chew swell back up into grapes shock

SoupDragon Tue 29-Sep-09 16:14:10

Floam modelling clay looks like an whole lot of insect eggs.

This wont' be a problem if you don't have older children though

Ditto those stick on googly eyes for craft. That's kind of freaky looking up at you.

Oh - raisins. They get reconstituted into grapes. Extremely worrying.

OmicronPersei8 Tue 29-Sep-09 16:29:05

Beetroot - already mentioned - does make poo the most alarming red/purple colour.

PinkTulips Tue 29-Sep-09 16:30:04

A shard of glass is fairly freaky, especially if it's bright lime green glass and you have nothing in the house made of lime green glass, much less anything broken made of lime green blass, so you have no idea how on earth the lime green glass ended up in your 8 month olds digestive tract and if there's potentially more lime green glass working it's way through.

And sand is fairly traumatic for everyone concerned [shudders]

logrrl Tue 29-Sep-09 21:24:26

peaches I have had some awful awful poo scenarios in DS first week of BLW...clothes in the BIN etc but I did know about the banana!

I'm also with you on the mess. It's SO depressing; cleaning, cooking, cleaning, eating, cleaning, dishes, cleaning, nappy....the banana I have sussed-straight into the machine for everything that's come in contact with it, apart from DSgrin... Weetabix cement needs a knife...

Montifer Tue 29-Sep-09 21:45:08

It is shocking that something as seemingly innocuous as banana causes such indelible stains on clothes and alarming surprises in nappies grin

I second the alarming nappy contents caused by blueberries, beetroot, seeded breads, unchewed raisins; and as for sweetcorn shock

A trip to Ikea for an Antilop highchair and a few cheap fleece blankets to go underneath which can go straight into the washing machine help with the mess IME. Their long sleeved bibs are good too.

This site is good for tips and support.

Have fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now