Talk

Advanced search

DS is 24 wks and weight gain has levelled off - ready for weaning??

(8 Posts)
venusrider Fri 25-Sep-09 20:49:02

Hello all.
DS is just about 24weeks and has been EBF up til now. He was weighed today, & his weight gain, which has been pretty much on the 75th percentile, has begun to plateau. The lovely HV mentioned that this often happens around weaning time as he's no longer getting all the nourishment he needs from breast milk alone, but all the same it would be better to wait until 6 months before we begin weaning.

So my question is... if DS really isn't getting all that he needs from being BF, should I think about starting to wean earlier than 6 months? As much as I'd like to wait until the recommended ideal time, I'm concerned that the slowing in weight gain is an indication that he's ready for more than BM.

thank you for all your wit and wisdom.

WobblyPig Fri 25-Sep-09 21:09:28

What in reality is the difference between 24 and 26 weeks? No harm can seriously be attached to weaning at 24 weeks if everything else points to the need for the introduciton of food, I would think.

CMOTdibbler Fri 25-Sep-09 21:12:16

BF babies weight does tend to tail off about this time naturally, compared to ff babies. Try downloading some 'breastfed from birth' charts (you may have the old charts in your red book where there is a mixture of babies, ff and bf) He will be getting everything he needs from breastmilk, so theres no rush to wean

iwantitnow Sat 26-Sep-09 16:42:06

Is he sitting up unsupported? Can he put food in his mouth if you leave it in front of him? DD was 20 weeks when she could do both these things and DS 22 weeks so both were weaned then - they hadn't read the books.

ThePinkOne Sat 26-Sep-09 16:42:37

DD's weight gain plateaued at about 12 weeks! I think they all do at some point but if you want to wait til 26 weeks I wouldn't see this as a reason to wean that bit early smile

Reallytired Sun 27-Sep-09 14:29:03

I think its being a little on the autisic side to think that all babies should be weaned at 26 weeks.

Exclusively breastfeeding until 24 weeks is an amazing achievement.

I think you need to follow your gut feeling. You know your baby best.

BelleWatling Sun 27-Sep-09 15:04:27

Weaning won't 'help' his weight anyway - not for a long while. The first foods you will give him will not match breastmilk for calories or nutrition.

Not that it sounds like it needs helping.

venusrider Sun 27-Sep-09 19:14:40

thanks everyone, & thanks CMOTdibbler about BF growth charts - I didn't know about those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now