Talk

Advanced search

Best bread ?

(5 Posts)
KvdM Thu 24-Sep-09 08:46:41

Hi,
I want to start my 6 month old with some bread this week and was just wondering which the best bread to give her would be? So many seem to be high in salt!
Thanks

MrsJamin Thu 24-Sep-09 08:56:50

it's a good idea to keep an eye on bread, as you say, as it's got a high salt content.

as I was at home I found it actually really easy to make my own bread so I wasn't worried about DS having too much salt - was yummier too, plus I could make it in his naps and we could have something nice and fresh for lunch without going to the shops. I have a panasonic breadmaker, and I reckon you can make bread for much less than it costs you. Just one option though, there may be someone else who can recommend a low-salt brand for you.

cara2244 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:07:28

Hovis Best of Both is the lowest salt one my local shop sells. I also use a breadmaker most of the time and cut the salt down by half.

Tupperwife Fri 25-Sep-09 13:13:15

We've found 'proper' bread to be a bit of a non starter; it goes all doughy and sticky after a bit of tentative gumming. Tupperbaby is still at the point of thoroughly examining all potential food before sticking it in his mouth, so it's all about robustness in the Tupperhousehold. I made some bread so I knew how much salt was in blush and he just gummed it back to dough and then threw it away. Pitta are great, especially with cheese in the middle and on top. I try to limit his wheat intake to once a day, just to keep the variety of things up, so I'm less worried about one slice of something commercial since that's all he'll get till tomorrow IYSWIM. At lunch yesterday he discovered the wondrousness of chapattis. [justifying eating curry every day from now on emoticon]

MrsJamin Fri 25-Sep-09 16:41:47

easy solution to that tupperwife - toast doesn't act in the same way as bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now