Talk

Advanced search

BLW concerns... can you reassure me nothing's wrong?

(8 Posts)
naomilpeb Wed 23-Sep-09 09:04:06

Thanks in advance for any reassurance anyone can give me!

DD is almost 9 months and took very well to food when we started, would try everything and stuff her little face and very quickly started cutting down on milk and having those lovely big solid poos.

However... over the last month she's become vegetable-averse and very unadventurous and it's starting to concern me a bit. She will still stuff herself if I give her any combination with bread, pasta or omelette, and still likes her fruit, but apart from the odd bit of broccoli will reject any vegetables, be they raw, steamed, boiled, fried or roast, big or small. I'm trying to be cool with it and just keep offering her stuff but it's getting me concerned.

She's also rcently started taking one bite of things and then chucking them on the floor, and continuing like this the whole meal. She'll go back to partly-eaten stuff that I put back on her tray, but again, with just one bite and then on the floor. Is this a normal phase they go through? I'm getting weary of the constant picking up and putting back on her tray of partly-eaten food!

Any advice or just 'bear with it' suggestions very gratefully received!

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 09:07:59

Is she still bfed? If so, then she is (and should be) getting most of her nutrition from that still anyway.

I wouldn't want to say anything categorically, but all my four DDs got very into food at about 7m for a couple of months, then went right off it for ages and I worried, and they didn't put on much weight for ages. Anyway, DD1 and DD2 are now very averaged sized and healthy children (6 and 4) and DD2 is small, but not horrifyingly so, and very healthy (2). DD4 is currently going through her own hunger strike and just breastfeeding and eating small amounts of solids. She's 12m, 15th centile but very healthy and not skinny - just little!

I've always used their general appearance, energy levels, and lack of illnesses to guage whether or not they're getting enough food.

Montifer Wed 23-Sep-09 09:09:50

Sounds normal to me.
DS was similar.
Just keep offering small amounts of food in addition to whatever milk she needs and she'll lead the way.
I found Aitch's website invaluable.

theyoungvisiter Wed 23-Sep-09 09:15:05

another vote for "normal".

Sadly some people seem to get babies like little birds who just sit there cheeping enthusiastically and swallowing any old mushed up worms vegetables that their parent drops into the gaping beak.

My children on the other hand are more like untidy and exceedingly picky vultures and have the magic ability to actually create MORE debris than there was food to begin with.

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 09:16:34

Oh, would also say that my older children have a really, really balanced diet that is still entirely self-regulated. Stick with it - it's worth it smile

naomilpeb Wed 23-Sep-09 09:19:44

Thanks very much for the reassurances! She is still breastfeeding as and when she wants (usually about three times a day and then once or twice in the night) so I know I shouldn't worry. I suppose it is just because she was so into food to start with that I have got a bit worried by the change.

Thanks for the link Monitfer.

barbareebaa Thu 24-Sep-09 22:42:00

I read somewhere (possibly Gill Rapley's BLW book) that they might go off food a bit around 9 months and favour milk. My 10 month old ds is not as adventurous at the mo and feeding like a demon at night again. Hoping this will pass!!
All the best smile

cara2244 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:46:59

Similar thing happening here (9 months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now