Talk

Advanced search

DD (8mo) won't eat

(5 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Wed 23-Sep-09 08:57:35

and it all started so well...she was, at about 7 months, eating a good breakfast (bowl of porridge + fruit), some lunch (finger foods and yogurt) and tea (ditto), plus her milk. But for some reason she is now refusing virtually everything I try to give her. At most she will take 4-5 teaspoons of porridge, baby food, home cooked food whatever. It's unbelievably frustrating and I really can't believe that she isn't hungry. I don't want to force her to eat, but mealtimes are becoming a bit of a battleground. I usually just give up after about 30 minutes of refusal/offering/refusal/offering. I offer her a range of different foods - the only things she reliably likes are yogurt and bananas.

I know that there's no need to worry about her intake of solids at this point, but she's barely drinking any milk either - a max of 3-4 oz at a time, spread through the day. Anything that is offered on a spoon is just batted away, as is a cup or bottle.

She's just cut a top tooth which has been troubling her for ages, but whilst she's OK weight-wise at the moment, this can't possibly last on her current intake. She's healthy and otherwise fine, although she is of course waking at night because she's bloody well hungry angry

Anyone had this experience? How did you resolve it? TIA

drivingmisscrazy Wed 23-Sep-09 10:01:53

anyone?

MrsJamin Wed 23-Sep-09 12:20:38

It's a pretty classic spoon-refusal stage. How about just offering finger foods? (i.e. like baby-led weaning) Teething really impacts how they take to solids so don't worry. Plus CHILL OUT otherwise it will really impact how your child sees food - i.e. something to battle wills over.

drivingmisscrazy Wed 23-Sep-09 14:17:01

thanks - yes, she does much prefer to feed herself (toast, mostly hmm) and I know that I need to chill too. Am doing my best - I guess she's not going to starve in the next few days, given that she is a decent weight, is she?

MrsJamin Wed 23-Sep-09 17:09:18

no, she won't starve, keep up with as much milk as she likes so food is more for fun than to satisfy hunger. how does she do with steamed or roasted veg sticks, as an alternative to toast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now