Talk

Advanced search

When did you drop the bottle and go onto beakers?

(8 Posts)
katherine2008 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:20:21

just wondering when you dropped the bottle - dd is coming up to to 13 months and we have a morning and bedtime bottle. she is less and less interested in milk anyway, so wondering if and when to swap the bottles to beakers. She is ok with the beaker (although she does love to wave it around, throw it in the air etc etc....)but I can't imagine dropping the bedtime bottle yet - she is just too tired and it would go everywhere... advice and experiences needed...!! thanks!

bigchris Tue 22-Sep-09 20:22:06

hi smile
we didn't drop the bottle until at least 2 years
I think they still need the comfort of sucking something
people do ty to move you on a stage though but really resist! they are still so little xxx

LatinDAISYcal Tue 22-Sep-09 20:27:02

With DS1 all bottles except bedtime one by 12 months. Bedtime one until around 18 months iirc.

with DD who was breastfed until 10 months then FF from there we used daytime bottles for a bit longer as she just didn't "get" beakers until she was over a year old. She was still off bottles by 18months.

It all depends on the individual baby though imo; some like bottles more than others and if it helps them settle for sleep, then I'd keep on with at least bedtime ones for as long as you need. I'm sure dentists would disagree though!

bristols Tue 22-Sep-09 20:28:13

We dropped the bottle for milk at 12 months for both of our DSes. The best sort of cup, we found, was one with an anti spill valve. Boots do a good one. That way it doesn't come out too quickly or spill everywhere if they drop off.

I wanted to get the change done sooner rather than later so that DS didn't complain too much! grin

bristols Tue 22-Sep-09 20:29:35

I was also conscious of the effect on their teeth, especially as DSes have their milk after they have cleaned their teeth for the night.

mumey Tue 22-Sep-09 20:43:49

I dropped bottle for my ds at 17months he clearly let us no he had out grew them by biting the end of the teat right off each bottle as he got them.

I was really considering getting him off them at 12m on to a cup but as he didn't get a dummy they were his comforter to get to sleep .
but saying that we just put his milk into a non spill cup that night and binned the 'bo bo' he never really minded as long as he got to suck milk from something.

he was already used to sucking/drinking from a cup for meals or drinks during the day.

plus the damed 'bo bo' would leak over the cot when he fell asleep with out finishing it .

katherine2008 Tue 22-Sep-09 22:00:32

thanks for that - dd has a tommee tippee beaker which has 3 holes in it - she never took to sucking from a beaker and if presented with one she needs to suck (I think I bought one of everything trying to get her to drink from a beaker!) she just refuses to drink... so I guess I'll get used to being showered for a bit....!

Catzee Tue 22-Sep-09 22:06:26

I introduced beakers at 6 months. DD never had a bottle (she refused them). I stopped BFing at 11 months and from then on she drank from a beaker only. Now she's 2 she drinks out of a proper cup or cup with a straw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now