Talk

Advanced search

container for mixing some formula for baby rice/purees

(9 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Tue 15-Sep-09 21:03:33

hi there, I'm giving dd baby rice for breakfast and I've having a huge faff in the mornings (not my best time) getting the formula ready. (She's bf otherwise so this is all new to me)

Basically, I'm sterilising a bottle to mix up the formula. Added to waiting for the boiled water to cool, and then waiting for the baby rice to cool, it's all taking too long and dd is screeching the place down by the time the baby rice is ready to eat.

How do other people manage this?? Does anyone know of a container with a lid with the fluid ounces marked on the side, that doesn't have to necessarily be sterilised as it doesn't have the crevices that a bottle and teat does?

Or do you have some labour saving techniques that work for you?

Thanks!

TheOneTheyCallMama Tue 15-Sep-09 21:07:09

Cows milk is fine, as long as baby is over 6 months. It mustn't be tahe main drink until a year but otherwise no problem at all.

I just gave DD toast, porridge pancakes or rice cakes with some fruit and yogurt.

KeithTalent Tue 15-Sep-09 21:09:55

Don't bother sterilising, just add powder to boiling water in your (clean!) bottle, and then once you pour it into another bowl to add baby rice it will cool fine (assuming it's a tiny amount..)

Honestly, you don't need to sterilise if you are washing properly.

HeadFairy Tue 15-Sep-09 21:12:24

I'd just use normal cow's milk... if she's over 6 months that is. I never gave ds tiny bits of formula, mostly because it goes off so quickly I could never get through a packet. You could always buy ready mix cartons but you'd end up throwing away a lot.

norktasticninja Tue 15-Sep-09 21:13:39

How old is your DD? A lot of people don't give baby rice or purees at all, just finger foods from the word go. It's known as BLW (baby led weaning).

It is very quite messy but I really enjoyed doing it with my DD.

Tinfoil Tue 15-Sep-09 21:14:09

How about making up a sterilised bottle of cooled boiled water the night before?

aendr Tue 15-Sep-09 22:01:36

Have you scales which measure at least with 1g precision? 100ml of water weighs 100g, and knowing this means you can add the water second. The reason the guidelines say add the water first is because then you get an accurate amount of water. [We also spotted that some bottles are as much as 10% out with regards the measuring lines on the side.]

So just do it in a clean bowl, put the right amount of powder in and add the right weight of water and stir well.

We boil up the water and let it cool a bit, then add part of the amount of hot water to kill off the bugs in the powder (that's the reason you use hot water) - and it mixes better hot anyway. We then top up with cold water, thus cooling it enough to drink immediately, which saved me a lot of anguish in the unpredictable early demand fed days. You can pre-boil and chill water for topping up.

However, I prefer not to feed mine anything I think tastes vile and baby rice I'm afraid fell into that category.

Gemzooks Tue 15-Sep-09 22:22:45

I have a nearly 6 month old, I just squirt my own milk straight into her baby rice! Perfect and instant... just a thought if you want to avoid all that faff..

Gemzooks Tue 15-Sep-09 22:23:37

...if you're bf anyway that is.. it couldn't be easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now