Talk

Advanced search

DS2 is nearly nine months and NO interest in food whatsoever

(11 Posts)
TheProvincialLady Tue 15-Sep-09 19:22:35

Should I start to worry yet? The most he will do is gnaw on a piece of cucumber, and that is only because it sooths his gums I am sure. He won't let any kind of spoon anywhere near his mouth and when I hand him food it just goes straight onto the floor, time after time after timehmm

He is still BF but doesn't feed any more than he ever has. He is well ahead on physical milestones and is nearly about to start walking, so no concerns there. I don't get him weighed but he is about to go into 12 to 18m babygros and vests.

PLEASE reassure me that he will start to eat soon and WON'T be a fussy eater (my worst nightmare...DS1 eats anything and everything)smile

TheProvincialLady Tue 15-Sep-09 20:03:21

Someone?

SouthMum Tue 15-Sep-09 21:23:34

cant help here but bumping for you smile

Jojo300 Wed 16-Sep-09 17:09:31

My 7.5 month old girl is the same. She will eat avocado and cheese - only if I put it in her mouth in small peices. No spoon feeding at all. The health visitor suggested dropping milk feeds so she is hungry and giving her finger food which resulgted in her screaming for milk and going off solids even more.
I would like to hear from a nutricionist as I don't really have much faith in health visitors.

TheProvincialLady Wed 16-Sep-09 20:34:25

Thanks SM and Jojo. No I don't have any faith in HV either. It sounds like your DD is doing well compared with my DS (9m todayhmm)

Montifer Wed 16-Sep-09 20:41:14

DS (now 15 months) wasn't interested in anything but bf until he mastered decent sitting balance and his pincer grip at 8-9 months.

We did BLW and I just bf until he was interested.
I found the info on Kellymom useful (and more evidence based than advice from HV).

He literally went from poking a bit of banana around to devouring everything put in front of him in a matter of weeks.

He really enjoys his food now, in fact I'd say he's passionate about it grin

IrishDraught Wed 16-Sep-09 20:50:42

DS (2 weeks overdue, 10lb5oz) wasn't intrested until about 9/10m. He just BF same as normal. I did BLW and just plonked 3 meals a day infront of him and eventually he started to really eat. He is just past 12m now and eats great most days, other days he mainly BFs.

TheProvincialLady Wed 16-Sep-09 21:01:33

Ah now that is encouraging, thankssmile I keep telling myself that he will eat when he is ready but it is good to hear of actual babies that have done it! Will check that link now....

Montifer Wed 16-Sep-09 21:11:09

This was also very helpful

CharCharGabor Wed 16-Sep-09 21:13:15

DD was an avid bfer and didn't really bother with solids until around 13 months or so. She'd taste small amounts but wouldn't be fed and just wasn't interested. She's 2 now and eats everything with a very healthy appetite.

Rosebud05 Wed 16-Sep-09 21:42:45

My dd took ages to get going with solids - we did blw. I think they all do it at different rates. One day at around 10 months she decided that she'd have breakfast and never looked back. I do remember finding it stressful, though, and had to keep reminding myself that she was sleeping well, perfectly happy, doing all the others things that she should be etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now