Talk

Advanced search

Weaning with milk intolerance - any advice?

(3 Posts)
dudhope Mon 14-Sep-09 19:00:43

Hi All
I'm weaning my 20 week old son who has milk intolerance and reflux. So far we're on baby rice with his soya formula and a bit of stewed pear.

I'll start pureed butternut squash this week, but has anyone else done this and what advice can you give me. (Apart from avoiding all milk/milk related substances until 1yr old at least?).

I'd like to use a few jars along with my own homemade stuff so if we're out and about, it's relatively easy. But not sure which brands are okay and which aren't.

Very grateful for any help you can give me,
Charon

purplepansy Tue 15-Sep-09 17:31:02

I've done this 3 times now! You just have to check the labels on everything.I started with baby rice and pureed fruit.
Homemade stuff is easy to ensure milk free.
Most jars are clearly labelled - Hipp organics I know have lots in the 4-6 month range that are dairy free.
The Plum super porridge stuff is also dairy free and a bit nicer than baby rice.
Ready brek is fortified with calcium for when he is onto slightly more textured stuff.
It is a bit harder when they are older to get enough calories and protein in as you cut the milk down - but if your LO can have soya that will help as you could use the soy yoghurts etc. Mine have been soy intolerant too.
Does your LO have a paediatrician? Can you get a referral to a dietician to help you?

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 15-Sep-09 17:38:26

Just swap all milk with soya milk or formula, the Pure soy or sunflower spread is also good for cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now