Talk

Advanced search

weaning at 5 and half months old twins -- any advice?

(7 Posts)
mum2twin100 Thu 03-Sep-09 14:20:28

Hello Mums,

Want to start feeding my girls solids. i already have a 4 year old but totally fogotten how i did it with her.

Yesterday, I gave them rice but one of them not really interested so shall i try other food? How many spoons of veg shall i give them? I remember that i should start with one veg at the time. should i introduce one new veg every 3 days so that they would get used to the taste.
When do i start plain yoghurt?

Thank you!

Meglet Thu 03-Sep-09 14:24:21

Mashed banana or mashed avocado are good to start with, easy to prepare too. I started my dc's at 5 months and just let them have tiny tastes of the food, most of it was spat out anyway. Took a few weeks to get the hang of it.

Not sure about plain yoghurt though.

anjlix Thu 03-Sep-09 16:16:14

For my twins, I started with baby rice mixed with some pear puree, carrot puree or courgette puree. I was giving about 1 table spoon for two meals along with milk. Slowly increased to 5-6 table spoons by 7 months. I also introduced a new veg every 2-3 days. Some things were
pear
apple
peach
parsnip
turnip
sweetpotato
green beans
broccoli
courgette
butternut squash
peas
swede
cauliflower

By 7 months they were eating yogurt mixed with fruit.

They did not like mashed banana or avocado since it was too hard to digest. They did not do sweet potato or potato for a while as it would make them gag. But by 7 months they got over the these issues.

I also find that their appetites can vary a lot. Some times they would eat only half as much for lunch and some times it feels like I dont have enough food!

mum2twin100 Thu 03-Sep-09 20:45:43

Thank you so much for your advice.
Anjlix regarding the fruit and veg puree did you use raw ones or did you steam/boil them beforehand?

anjlix Fri 04-Sep-09 19:54:56

Boiled fruit for puree up to 8 months since they were preemies. Didnt bother with any berries since they were too fiddly to prepare. Mostly stuck to apples, pears and peaches. Also I wanted to limit fruit to only once a day to avoid sweet tooth. Now they have fruit and yogurt for breakfast (they still gag on baby cereal) and for dessert.

After that they started having raw mangoes, melons and berries.

RoryGilmore Fri 04-Sep-09 19:58:26

sweet potato and carrot were big favourites and got mixed in with most things. Pear and apples with readybrek.

Regarding puree - I think everything (bar banana and avocado) needs cooking before pureeing, but post 6 months then very ripe pears etc will be fine not cooked.

all veg needs cooking before

BertieBotts Sun 06-Sep-09 10:03:07

Have you heard about baby led weaning? It basically means not pureeing anything and just letting them self-feed. It seems like it would be easier with twins (I don't have twins though so could be wrong) - all you would need to do is supervise and then a dustpan and brush/handheld hoover/dog/big sheet of plastic like a shower curtain will deal with the cleanup.

I started BLW with my DS when he was 5 months and it is so much easier as it means I can eat when he does - so with twins this would mean you can feed them both at the same time, on your own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now