Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much water do I give my 6 month old?

(7 Posts)
pink76 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:43:00

Hi, my daughter is going to be 6 months next week. We have just started her on solid foods which she seems to be taking to quite well. The only thing is I'm not sure if I should be giving her extra liquid on top of breast milk and if so what and how much?
Any help gratefully received!

TanteRose Wed 02-Sep-09 16:48:03

she doesn't need any water if she is drinking breastmilk.
Breastmilk should still be her main source of nutrients and hydration until she is about a year old.
HTH smile

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Wed 02-Sep-09 16:55:41

I agree Tante Rose, though I always put a sippy cup of boiled cooled water on the high chair tray with the meal, it was there if they wanted to try it and if they didn't it didn't matter.

hackedoffandcross Wed 02-Sep-09 16:58:09

My 8.5mo is BF and taking loads of solids, I have just started offering water in a beaker a few times a day to have a couple of sips, more to get used to a beaker than anything. He likes to play with it and has had a few slurpsgrin

Seona1973 Wed 02-Sep-09 19:50:06

I'd offer a small cup of water along with the meal (tap water is fine from 6 months) but dont be worried if your lo only takes a sip or two. It is more about getting them used to the cup than the water itself.

pink76 Wed 02-Sep-09 20:21:40

thanks for that, you've set my mind at ease.
All gets a bit confusing!

iwantitnow Wed 02-Sep-09 21:06:12

I would definitely try at each meal, I didn't with my BF DD and she has never drunk a huge amount of fluids and she is nearly 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now