Talk

Advanced search

Need to get 2y6m old to eat more veg - and less sugar!

(6 Posts)
RoRoMommy Tue 01-Sep-09 11:14:04

My DS loves sugar and hates veg. He's very reasonable, so I wonder if anyone has had any luck "explaining" or "reasoning" their toddler out of eating sweets, and if so, what worked? I hate just saying no all of the time and not giving a reason.

Also, my DS hates veg, and I am worried that he's eating a lot of the same stuff all of the time. Anyone have a sure-fire way of sneaking in veg or a list of east-to-prepare slam-dunk toddler meals?

TIA!

puffylovett Tue 01-Sep-09 11:16:49

Can't help on the veg front, other than to keep offering - will watch with interest smile

Re the sugar - I just don't offer it ! They have no need of it. My DS sometimes watches TV programs where the characters have wobbly teeth, so I always make a point of telling him that's what happens with too much cake / not enough brushing smile. Tell him he can have fruit instead, or restrict him to a time of day that he's allowed a sweet, ie after lunch maybe?

RoRoMommy Tue 01-Sep-09 11:19:48

Thanks puffy! I don't offer it either, but it's gotten to the point where he asks for candy every day, and obviously that much sugar is not okay for the little ones. He just gets so upset when I say no (of course) that I want to give him a good reason. Wobbly teeth are a very good reason! I also try to say that he needs "good" food before "empty" food because otherwise his body won't grow or work properly.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 01-Sep-09 11:22:31

just don't buy sugary things. Offer weetabix for breakfast, fruit for snacks. Make veg soups wih bread to dip in.
Use dark chocolate as the treat.

RoRoMommy Wed 02-Sep-09 10:53:02

In case anyone is wondering, some progress here - I explained to DS that candy is not healthy and will make his teeth wobbly, but that he could have a granola bar (one of those eat natural things with yogurt on one side) and he accepted this and happily took the granola bar.

I also made the Annabel Karmel recipe for hidden veggie bolognese, which tasted very nice, but didn't get to see if DS liked it because he was off his food (we both have colds at the moment). Still, it was very easy to make and if he does eat it, it's packed with veggies.

BonsoirAnna Wed 02-Sep-09 10:54:35

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at OP

Sorry!

Try making your own veg laden pasta sauces (bolognese, tomato).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now