Talk

Advanced search

My dear SIL has given her beautiful 11 week old baby some baby rice......

(6 Posts)
VanillaPumpkin Mon 31-Aug-09 23:01:07

sad because he is hungry hmm.

Her HV apparently said it would be ok from 12 weeks angry, and of course 'he loved it'.

I couldn't help but show my shock. Should I say anything else, show her some research or mind my own business.

I am thinking the latter as I don't think it would make any difference apart from cause an upset between us sad. She is doing things quite differently to the way I did and I don't want her to think I am judging when she needs support with a newborn...

sushistar Mon 31-Aug-09 23:02:23

Has she asked for your views at all? If not, there's sadly not much you can do. Except maybe report the HV for giving very irresponsible advice...

VanillaPumpkin Mon 31-Aug-09 23:10:02

No, hasn't asked for my views. She was so excited when she told me and I just stood there with my mouth open shock.

I feel I will have to let it slide. Makes me sad though. She was let down establishing b/f too....although I know she is very happy ff so that is all ok.

catinthehat2 Mon 31-Aug-09 23:19:03

But be careful - if she finds out later that there is another way , and that you said nothing, she might be very upset with you.

Can you just say something innocuous so that 2 years, whatever, down the line you can honestly say to her - "yes, I did indeed mention that..."

bigstripeytiger Mon 31-Aug-09 23:22:12

I would agree with mentioning it in a non judgemental way. As I understand it there is clear evidence that giving solids at 11 weeks isnt a good idea, and I would be gutted if I had done this, and then later found out that not only was it a bad idea, but that people around me didnt think enough of me to speak to me about it.

bigstripeytiger Mon 31-Aug-09 23:37:33

Just to add, that isnt to say that that would be a 'reasonable' point of view, but its how I would interpret it if unknowingly I was doing someting potentially harmful, and no-one told me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now