Talk

Advanced search

can my 10month old have tinned tuna?

(9 Posts)
GirlWiththeMouseyHair Sun 30-Aug-09 13:28:38

thanks!

KingRolo Sun 30-Aug-09 13:33:16

Mine has. grin

I think it's OK as long as you don't give them too much - once or twice a week in small amounts is fine I think.

GirlWiththeMouseyHair Sun 30-Aug-09 13:35:01

brill, thankyou (run out of anything for dinner!)

suiledonn Sun 30-Aug-09 13:35:20

In oil or water rather than brine as that is very salty. Also I think there is concern about mercury levels so probably better to give it only occasionally.

ThingOne Sun 30-Aug-09 13:38:46

It's not a very nutritious food. Did you know it had the oil, which contains the omega 3, removed? All you get out of a tin is protein.

On your question, I have no idea, sorry.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 30-Aug-09 13:39:36

yes, fine if in spring water as said already, and in small amounts to minimise potential mercury intake. But all in all a very healthy thing to give.

bitofadramaqueen Sun 30-Aug-09 16:00:13

Just check the ingrdients on the tin, avoid the ones with salt listed as an added ingredient. I usually stick to the tuna in spring water or olive oil.

Seona1973 Sun 30-Aug-09 18:09:45

there isnt a limit on tinned tuna but there is on fresh tuna. Only women trying to get pregnant or who are pregnant need to limit the amount of tinned tuna they eat.

From the food standards agency:

People can eat as much tinned tuna as they like, except women who are pregnant or are planning to get pregnant in the next year. These women should eat no more than four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can), or two fresh tuna steaks (weighing about 140g when cooked, or 170g raw

Essie3 Mon 31-Aug-09 20:52:15

It's the salt you need to watch <says she having started a thread on the topic and digested it all>. But I gave my 14mo tinned tuna tonight, in brine, and the tin listed sodium as surprisingly low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now