Talk

Advanced search

6 month old ds hates high chair, bumbo etc...

(5 Posts)
caspercat Fri 28-Aug-09 19:03:13

I really want to do BLW with him - did it with dd and it worked a treat. DS seems more that ready physically - sits well & is crawling already & picks food up when sitting on my lap, but as soon as goes in high chair etc, he just crumples & screams. Can't keep him on my lap as have 3 yr old dd to manage at same time. Makes meal times really stressful, & i'm beginning to dread it. Do i just persevere?? Am having to top him up with purees cos at least i can get those in him when he's horizontal. Any tips?? He's 6.5 months old. Ta....

5inthebed Fri 28-Aug-09 19:04:58

What high chair are you using? I bought a lovely £85 height adjustable with a recline and lots of other fancy things for DS3. He hated it! screamed if he was within 6 foot of it. I went to ikea and bought antlop for £10 and he is in his element in it!

dinkystinky Fri 28-Aug-09 19:05:49

Can you try to get him used to highchair when it isnt meal time. Have him up at the table in his chair playing with toys for a few minutes and gradually extend it? Is it the highchair - could you borrow a different one from a friend to try out? Otherwise sadly he'll have to stay on your lap to feed if that's the only place he will happily sit to eat.

mrsgboring Fri 28-Aug-09 19:09:56

i think it could be worth trying another high chair (and spooning puree while he's in it if he likes puree). if that doesn't work, what about using a sling such as a mei tai to secure him on your lap and give you extra hands?

also try to get your 3yo a little more independent. she shouldn't need you too much for a meal at that age

caspercat Sat 29-Aug-09 14:25:48

Thanks for all your advice. I've heard lots about that Ikea chair, unfortunately our nearest Ikea is miles away, so that's not an option at the mo. I don't know why i didn't think to have him in the chair to get used to it, playing with his toys. Tried that this morn, he was loads better.
I realise what i said about my DD made it seem like she needs all my attention, it's not that so much, it's just constantly asking for things, like more drink, or a wee, or she drops something on the floor etc, etc.
So, will keep trying with what we have for now, thanks again for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now