Talk

Advanced search

Too soon to be on 3 meals a day?

(7 Posts)
Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 15:28:12

DD is 6 months this wk and I started weaning her 2 weeks ago (I know, I know, but she was showing all signs of being ready for it, grabbing my food and putting it to her mouth and crying cos I wouldn't give her any etc.) So far she's just had baby rice, pear, sweet potato, cauliflower and butternut squash and has taken to all well. Just yesterday I introduced a second feed a day because for the last week she has been looking for more and more food and looking for her milk earlier and earlier. So at the mo she's having puree veg at around 10am and baby rice with fruit puree at 5pm. I am wondering is it too soon to introduce breakfast as one book I ready said to intro breakfast whenever they start to show signs of being hungry long before their mid-morning bottle. For months she was always having her bottle at 7am then again about 11am (and it's with this feed that I give veg puree and introduce more foods) but now she is looking for this feed as early as 9:30am. So if I were to do just as the book says, she'd be having breakfast, but it just seems to me like it'd be overloading her wee tummy.... so what do all you wise ladies suggest? THanks.

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 15:49:33

finger food

she'll slow down once it;s more effort to get it in

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 17:37:39

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, thanks, MrsBadger. You seem to be into BLW tho.... and I have chosen to go down the puree route.... so if any of you who know about weaning on purees can suggest what I should do, I'd be very grateful. TIA.

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 18:44:13

no, really, finger foods are a good accompaniment to purees even of you don't do blw per se smile

it can also help them get used to lumps, which many puree babies end up having trouble with at the transition from Stage 1 smooth purees to stage 2 lumpy (or if not then then from stage 2 to real food)

maybe a good compromise would be to introduce a finger food breakfast in addition to the puree lunch and tea in your current routine?

CarGirl Wed 26-Aug-09 18:48:40

my youngest rapidly went on to 3 meals a day and dropped her milk feeds - in part I think it's because she wanted to be "big" like her sisters.

Although I did puree for the first few weeks I think switched to giving her proper food chopped and tbh she fed herself and I just fed her youghurts and breakfast cereals (baby ones)

ChocOrange05 Wed 26-Aug-09 18:59:18

They are all different and if she is showing signs of hunger I don't see why you shouldn't give her breakfast, I would second MrsBadger on the finger foods idea as that would really give her the chance to regulate her own intake so if she is hungry she will eat IYSWIM?

If you are worried about lumps at this stage then try soft finger foods like banana, ripe mango, ripe pears and anything else soft which can be cut into finger shapes.

If you are worried about choking its worth reading about the gag reflex as its quite reassuring, also you could see if your local HV offers a baby resus course that covers choking - I did one of those when DS was a few months old, he's been on finger foods from 6 months (he refused the spoon) but I've not had to use my training yet thankfully.

HTH

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 20:55:08

Thanks all for the tips and advice. What would I do without MN? Cos my HV is useless, won't even offer advice, let alone courses on choking!! So I might try banana finger food then.... wish me luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now