Talk

Advanced search

Not sure what I'm doing! When can they have what??

(24 Posts)
thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 22:31:56

I'm weaning my DD at the moment and could do with a quick run down of when she can have what. Have a book on weaning but its utterly bamboozles me and so have just decided to feel my own way, responding to DD as we go.

Can anyone give me a list of foods/types of foods that DD can have and at what age?

Cheese?
Fromage Frais?
Meat?
Bread?
Pasta?

She is currently just over 6 months and so far has only had fruit and veg (baby rice was not a success!)

TIA

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 22:34:44

is there any reason to suspect allergies? If not then at 6 months they can have anything except honey. You also need to make sure she's not having more than 1g of salt a day.

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 22:39:41

DH is asthmatic but only mildly - would that indicate an allergy risk?

How do you keep a track of how much salt? Sorry if daft question!

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 25-Aug-09 22:41:17

No honey, and no nuts because of the choking hazard. But otherwise you can give anything really, that is a huge bonus of not weaning before 6mo, its much easier.

IIRC best not to give thoses cheeses you aren't allowed while you are pregnant, but don't quote me - not that anyone is likely to go, mmm brie for lunch darling to a 6mo??

Have fun.

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 22:41:34

re salt:
avoid processed foods
read labels
use unsalted butter
do not use stock/gravy

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 22:43:50

I'm working on the assumption that she will know how much she wants to eat, I hope she doesn't scoff too much. Is it possible to overfeed a baby?

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 22:46:38

Not sure, but doesn't sound like it would be a problem to me. If you're worried then you can introduce things more gradually. Maybe someone else will have a better answer...

Don't add any salt when you're cooking. Read packets to check how much salt is in whatever you're giving her to make sure you stick to low salt foods.

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 22:49:04

sorry that was to the allergies post

Are you blw? So long as she's in control of the food, she'll stop when she's had enough.

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 22:52:30

We're doing a mix of purees and self feeding. Once or twice she has stopped opening her mouth for the spoon when she doesn't want more but mostly she would seemingly eat forever!

Someone suggested she could have rice pudding as a pudding now - do any of you know if she is old enough for things like that?

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 22:54:49

I wouldn't bother with special baby puddings

plain yog and fruit is cheaper, easier and better for them (thick Greek-style yog stays on the spoon best)

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 22:56:21

mrsbadger I don't think it was a baby pudding my friend suggested. I think she just meant a Mueller rice pudding or something similar. I assumed she couldn't have things like that, any ideas?

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 23:00:33

yes she could have it if you wanted her to. dd had some ambrosia rice pudding tonight, but its quite sugary so normally she has yoghurt and fruit.

MrsBadger Tue 25-Aug-09 23:01:52

god no

apart from anything else if there are Muller rice puddings in the house they are MINE

babies really don't need all that sugar - fat / protein / carbs yes, but sugar serves no purpose except to get them into a pudding habit. Petits Filous are just as bad - what is it, 2 teaspoons of sugar per pot?

Fruit and yog, fruit and yog.

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 23:06:06

ok, tell me what type of yoghurt then? I only have mueller light, so have no idea beyond that! There are lots of different types, what should I be looking for?

thinkaboutthepepilepticdogs Tue 25-Aug-09 23:09:07

sorry, just realised how late it is, need to go and dreamfeed DD. Will pick up in the morning. Thanks for all the advice, my head was spinning after reading the weaning book! Thanks!

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 23:12:01

I just get the own brand greek style natural yoghurt for me and dd to share. Comes in a big pot, not little individual ones.

dd loves it just as it comes, but mixed with mashed banana it is sooooo good grin

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 09:10:02

yes
own brand full-fat greek-style natural
in a big pot

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 14:55:23

Oh dear, I bought petit filous yesterday for DD.... are they really that bad and sugary? shock

meep Wed 26-Aug-09 15:00:03

Sainsburys fromage frais have no added sugar in them - if you want to buy individual pots

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 15:08:06

thanks meep I will look for them.

CMOTdibbler Wed 26-Aug-09 15:10:40

Some of the 'no added sugar' fromage frais are sweetened with concentrated apple juice and similar, so you do have to keep an eye on them

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 18:50:16

petits filous are not the end of the world obv
but they really are bloody sweet, esp when you consider the sweetest thing she's ever had is fruit or milk...

Pinkmarshmallow Wed 26-Aug-09 21:03:21

hmmm.... I've forgotten what they taste like it's years since I had one, I never liked them as a kid so I don't usually buy them. When I went to the fridge to check the ingredients after seeing this thread earlier, the label is such that you can't see how much sugar is in them.... all I had looked at in the shop was the checklist about no added preservatives and no added sweetners and all the great vitamins that are in it etc etc. Grrr to the manufacturers for fooling me. <<Slap to self for being a bad mother and note to self to double check all ingredients in future.>> blush

Rhian82 Thu 27-Aug-09 14:28:05

I get the Plum fromage frais, I know I'm probably spending too much money but they're no added sugar, a perfect size and DS loves them!

I also use full-fat plain yoghurt. You can add fruit puree, jam etc to flavour it but DS gobbles it up plain so I've stopped bothering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now