Talk

Advanced search

Why is it that they always pick the most public setting, where people are already looking at you askance for giving a 6 month old finger foods, to gag horrifically?

(8 Posts)
PinkTulips Tue 25-Aug-09 17:28:13

Hospital coffee shop, table with 4 paediatricians next to me and elderly people all around.

Even more annoyingly he's never gagged before... and it was bloody loud, real choking sounding and not pretty.

It was like an applause but instead of hands clapping it was tutting noise and sighs

hmm

you Tue 25-Aug-09 17:45:12

LMAO [GRIN]

I have the joys of this to come in a few weeks I suspect. But tis always the way. Had DD in a sling the other day, all nice and comfy and asleep. Lady in shop commented on how unusual slings were and isn't DD too big now, doesn't my back hurt, isn't she squashed etc and after a long boring explanation from me about how, no it doesn't hurt my back and actually DD is so comfortable she only naps ther, she decided to wake up and scream blue bloody murder because I had the sleep hood over her. Cue me exiting shop rather sheepishly.

Bloody kids

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 20:12:01

oh no, how embarassing.

Never had this exactly but DD likes to cough as she seems to like the sound (has long coughing conversations with her dad). Can get quite embarassing when she's eating in public and she decides to have a major coughing session. Everyone looks at me wondering why I'm not rushing to help her with whatever's making her cough.

PigeonPie Tue 25-Aug-09 20:18:04

It is embarrassing isn't it? DS2 used to sort of spit food out which was fine when he was at home but a bit difficult when we were out - my Pa in particular found it hard and was on the verge of telling him off (DS2 was probably only 7 months at the time!)

It won't be long before your DC is eating full meals with their cutlery though - I can't believe DS2 has been eating for more than a year - it all goes too quickly.

wuglet Tue 25-Aug-09 20:32:45

First dinner with family after DS started solids.
Put a stick of parsnip on his highchair tray.
Lots of "ooh he won't manage that", "are you sure this is what you are supposed to do" etc from ILs - cue my patient explanation of BLW.

He crams it in his mouth, gags, and vomits spectacularly. Git

GirlsAreLoud Tue 25-Aug-09 20:36:06

LMAO wuglet!

PinkTulips Tue 25-Aug-09 21:10:06

lol wuglet, ds1 used save his most disagreeable eating habits for my mothers house too grin

Pigeon, i won't hold my breathe, dd and ds1 are 4 and 3 and still baffled by cutlery hmm

you... have had exactly the same with ds2 in his sling, he's delighted with it at all times unless a stranger who thinks i'm a bit mad comments at which point he decides he wants out and loses the plot slightly.... kids, who'd have em? wink

PacificDogwood Tue 25-Aug-09 21:16:58

DS3 (now an ancient 17 month old, eats anything and everything grin) has taken to sticking his finger down his throat to the point of heaving - for fun!! Gives him the giggles!! And then he does it again, and again, and again.

So far, he has never got it wrong and actually barfed but it can only be a matter of time....wink. Very alarming when he does it in the car.

Why DO people get that worried about a bit of gagging? Tis a protective reflex, it is v active in young childres, if a baby did seriously choke at least they are small enough to hold upside down and bash their back until offending piece of Lego vegetable comes out again.
smile

Should I start a thread on whether he is developing an eating disorder wink??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now