Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I get my BLW 9 month old to eat more?

(11 Posts)
hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 24-Aug-09 14:15:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dinkystinky Mon 24-Aug-09 19:01:53

What are you feeding him at 8pm? Could you try something which might be a bit more filling than protein and veg/fruit - maybe weetabix and banana with some yoghurt mixed in? Or plenty of dairy/cheese in with his meal otherwise? May take a few days to take effect but might help.

Maybe also try him on finger food snacks in the late afternoon (5ish) which may help feed him up - pitta bread with peanut butter or philadelphia, rice cake with topping etc all good.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 24-Aug-09 19:40:46

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 24-Aug-09 19:45:32

You can't "make" a BLW'd child eat more - that's not really how BLW works! grin Try offering him porridge pancakes or something (maybe with raisins or dipped in yoghurt?) as a pudding after his main evening meal?

With ds I found that he still needed his "dream feed" between 10-11 until he was well past 12 months. If I didn't breastfeed him then, he would wake at 2am with his little tummy rumbling! Can you dream feed him before he goes to bed so that he doesn't wake up just as you are going to bed?

Does he sleep through after his last feed? 9 months is still very little, and if he's otherwise contented and happy then I wouldn't fret over it too much IIWY.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 24-Aug-09 20:33:57

thisisyesterday Mon 24-Aug-09 20:38:18

you can't make him eat more, tyhat's the whole point of BLW, the child eats what they need to eat.

the reason he is waking is probably that he needs milk. milk is more calorific, so that may be why he needs it.
it is also about a lot more than just food, he may be waking and needing the comfort to get back to sleep, which is also fine.

if it's milk he wants then it's milk he should get IMO.

ds2 was an horrendous sleeper, he also LOVED solids and ate a huge amount, didn't change his sleeping habits at all, so even if you do get your baby to eat more he may well not change anything to do with sleep

PinkTulips Mon 24-Aug-09 20:57:40

Just like thisisyesterday i've never found any correlation between eating more solids and sleeping better, in fact mine seem to get worse at night once they start solids!

One thing i would do though is feed him dinner at 6pm instead of that milk feed, food too close to bed can cause them to be more wakeful.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 24-Aug-09 21:12:58

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 25-Aug-09 08:47:09

It's hard isn't it, I do sympathise. You need to be giving stodgier food AFAIK to help them sleep, as it takes longer to digest and makes them drowsy. Having said that, I don't think that's a very comfortable feeling for them, but I used to give ds baby porridge (on a spoon shock) mixed with fromage frais to help him sleep which seemed to help sometimes. My friend tried the same thing with her lo though, and he was up all night with a tummy ache.

I do think that if you want to follow the BLW/bf-ing route you need to let go of wanting to go out in the first year if your baby's pattern won't allow for it. It makes it worthwhile when you have a beautifully secure toddler who will happily wander off/be left. Although then you find dc2 comes along shortly after. <<glares at dh>>

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Tue 25-Aug-09 08:50:07

Also, you might find he is bf-ing more at night because he's going 8-3 without in the day. Does he have milk at all in the day?

hanaflowerhatestheDM Tue 25-Aug-09 09:59:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now