Talk

Advanced search

BLW and salt

(15 Posts)
picc Mon 24-Aug-09 10:24:28

Apologies if this has been asked loads of times before.
I did search, but it didn't really give me what I was looking for. Also, I got so much help from my last quick query. Thanks!! So I thought I'd try again

Weaning is now going really well. DS happily chomps away at fruit/veg sticks and I tend to try and give him bits of whatever else we're having to 'play' with.

However, I'm still not clear what to do on salt.

I don't tend to add much to our food anyway, but should I not add any at all?
What about when I boil veg/ pasta. Can I put salt in the water?

Also, tonight I'm making a shepherd's pie and would usually add a bit of stock to the meat. What constitutes a "low salt" stock cube?? When made up as told to by the instructions, the ones I have contain 0.3g sodium/0.8g salt per 100ml.

Any help, as ever, and again, much appreciated!!

CMOTdibbler Mon 24-Aug-09 10:29:12

Don't add any salt to your food in cooking - just add it as you need it when eating, but you might be suprised to find that you don't.

I buy specific low salt stock cubes

ijustwant8hours Mon 24-Aug-09 10:30:47

Hi picc

You do have to be careful on salt. Usually the advice is not to add any to your cooking (you can add salty ingredients after for adults if need be) so when you boil pasta don't add salt.

Salt levels in loads of good foods are high (eg cheese) so you need to think about keeping salt in other things low.

Low salt stock cubes have 'trace' sodium usually. I tend not to use them, I do the basic cooking then put a bit aside for dd before putting a regular stock cube (or gravy granules blush in.

Hope this helps

theyoungvisiter Mon 24-Aug-09 10:38:57

agree with CMOT. Don't add any salt - as a bonus you will probably find that after the first few weeks of thinking things taste a bit bland, in a little while you will stop noticing and won't need to add as much to your own food.

The stock cubes you have are not low salt - 0.8g per 100ml is quite high salt. Low salt would be "trace" or less than 0.1g per 100ml. Sainsburys do Kallo Organic low salt stock cubes link here with nutritional info, which are very nice (though do take a bit of time to dissolve) and come in chicken, beef, vegetable and fish. (I think!)

picc Mon 24-Aug-09 10:41:54

thanks!! yes you've both helped loads.

Makes total sense.
Have no problems not adding it to food generally, although adding salt to pasta will be a very difficult habit to break!

Looks like I need to go back to making my own stock if I want to use it, or search for those specific low salt ones....

Thanks!

BornToFolk Mon 24-Aug-09 10:42:26

We stopped adding salt to pasta and veg when weaning DS and didn't even notice.
Don't add any salt, you can always add it to your portion if you feel the need.

picc Mon 24-Aug-09 10:46:58

thanks tyv
cross-post!

yup... have had to do without salt as much as possible anyway as we have various cholesterol/heart/kidney issues in the family (both growing up and now), so am hoping it won't be too much of a leap to leave it out altogether.

erm.... bit confused though. Coincidentally, the stock cubes I was talking about using in my OP were the Kallo Organic ones....

anyway! It doesn't matter too much. Will just try to be a bit more creative.

thanks again for all the help

theyoungvisiter Mon 24-Aug-09 10:49:09

there are two kind of Kallo organic - Kallo organic normal which look like this and Kallo organic low salt, which are like the link in my previous message and have a mostly blue packet.

picc Mon 24-Aug-09 10:49:27

thanks BTF

oh dear! I have to admit, I think pasta boiled without salt does taste a bit bland blush

But I'll try it again. It's good for me, anyway!!

picc Mon 24-Aug-09 10:50:43

agh! oh! doh!! sorry tyv blush

will try looking at link properly this time....

(as you can see, it doesn't take much to confuse me!!)

Pinner35 Mon 24-Aug-09 10:51:22

Boots do some organic baby stock cubes which I found perfect when I was weaning DD. Whilst I usually avoid anything specifically labelled "baby" I find we are still using these now (DD is 16 months).

theyoungvisiter Mon 24-Aug-09 10:52:05

ok just realised my first link didn't work! here is a link to the low salt vegetable version

Basically though the packets are all 50% blue, regardless of flavour.

Sainsburys stock all varieties of the low salt ones (at least ours does), other supermarkets seem a bit more patchy, and you shoudl find them in health food shops.

theyoungvisiter Mon 24-Aug-09 10:55:17

don't worry picc, it was me not checking the links, not you getting confused! For some reason the site wouldn't let me link to a specific product.

Hulla Mon 24-Aug-09 10:57:00

I think we managed to find some of the Kallo ones in Asda. I'd recommend them too.

picc Mon 24-Aug-09 12:42:10

brill thanks. am going shopping today, so will have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now