Talk

Advanced search

Shepherds Pie Recipes

(20 Posts)
littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 18:57:05

My ds2 is 6 months and is blw. I am doing meals for the whole family and want to do a Shepherds Pie tomorrow. I normally just use the powder sachet sauce things from the supermarket, but has too much salt for lo. What can I use instead?

littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 19:08:17

Please smile

ThePinkOne Sun 23-Aug-09 19:46:08

Eek. I don't know - I usually use lower salt gravy granules but probably wouldn't do that for DS!

Er cornflour to thicken and lots of herbs for taste?

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 19:53:07

you don't need any powder or gravy granules for shepherd's pie.

Fry mince and onion and garlic until cooked and onion is soft, add other veg too if wanted (grated carrot and caugette are what I use). Add a cup of water and keep cooking until all water has evaporated, then mix two tablespoons of flour into the mince mixture, keep stirring over a low heat and add another cup or two of water, continue stirring and cooking until thickened. Add more or less water for your own preferance.

Add some worcestershire sauce and pepper, salt can be added to adult portions once cooked.

Top with mash and bake until mash is browning.

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 19:54:11

You never have to use those vile packet sauces again! smile

And, if ypou're making it properly with lamb mince, it is so tasty you won't need to 'add' anything for flavour.

BertieBotts Sun 23-Aug-09 19:57:15

Ooh <shameless self promotion> see my recipe here

Don't use honey though for a baby. You can add a spoonful of sugar when softening the onions instead. Wine is ok as the alcohol cooks off but if you feel uncomfortable about it, leave it out. You can add low-salt stock if you want to.

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 20:10:20

I top mine with a mix of potato and sweet potato too.

My recipe is really good <<competative>> and was in fact a best seller when a gourmet organic babyfood company supplied it <<shameless self promotion>>

grin

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 20:11:07

and, if you top it with sweet potato, you really don't want to be adding sweetener to the mince mix as well shock

littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 20:13:03

Thank you grin I'm writing my shopping list for tomorrow which is why I needed to know now.
Overmdb That sounds good. I may add some skinned tomatoes too.
I did a really nice lamb bake with boiled potatoes and creme fraiche last week. Was yummy. and Bertie That was with white wine in the sauce. Ds1 had it, but ds2 was eating earlier so had something else. I don't have a problem using wines in sauces for them, like you say the cooking removes the alcohol.

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 20:16:37

Yep, the wine is nice, especially if you're cooking it for the whole family.

Don't put tomatoes in it though!shock It is not Shepherd's Pie if it contains tomatoes. It is wrong, please don;t do it.

littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 20:17:26

Thank you again ladies. Bertie Just looked at your recipe. Sounds yummy. I've never thought about adding parsnip.
Tbh, I prob wont use sweet potato because I'm not that keen on it, but might steam some batons for the dc's to have on the side.

I've had some really nice meals taken from the recipe page, don't know why I didn't think to look there hmm grin

littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 20:19:11

Oh blush really? Oh. That's a big no-no then. Whoops. I'll save the toms for a spag bol then.

Can you tell I'm only just getting into this home cooking stuff? grin Which is about time seeing as ds1 is 2!

Overmydeadbody Sun 23-Aug-09 20:29:43

It's never too late to learn!grin

Hope you have a yummy shepherd's Pie!

littleboyblue Sun 23-Aug-09 20:32:18

Thank you. grin
I have a special folder where i have some recipes from here that I've printed, and I have also been buying some cooking magazines, and do you know what? i feel really good knowing that I am doing the best I can for my family instead of chucking fish fingers in the oven every night! blush Think ds1 misses his fish fingers and potato waffles. I might treat him in the week.
He isn't so keen on the home cooked, but he will be (I hope)

BertieBotts Sun 23-Aug-09 20:37:11

Yes I like it with potato on top as well. Depends what mood we are in! The parsnips are good though, they give it a nice flavour. You are probably right actually OMDB about the sweetness + sweet potato combination. I first made it with potato on top but honey in rather than sugar and it was really nice.

nannynick Mon 24-Aug-09 17:29:38

Overmydeadbody - Have made your version of Shepherds Pie for this evening (plus some to freeze for later). Didn't have flour though, so my sauce is a bit runny. Plus I forgot to add the wine... ah well, had better have a glass of that whilst eating the Shepherds Pie.

nannynick Mon 24-Aug-09 18:20:35

Overmydeadbody - It's nice... even without the wine in it!

For those of you making it for children, I suggest you purée the onions and any other veg your children may not like the look of, either that or cut them up very very small.

vinblanc Mon 24-Aug-09 18:23:46

I never make shepherds' pie the same way twice.

It is really easy to make without a sauce and still keep it low salt.

I think some salt is good, and if making it really child friendly, I would achieve this via a can of baked beans.

littleboyblue Mon 24-Aug-09 22:01:03

I tried Berties recipe tonight. It was a bit dry, I must have done something wrong. Nit sure now how to do it next time. I hate baked beans so that's a no-no unless I eat later on my own

murf Tue 15-Sep-09 14:00:49

there is an excellent cottage pie recipe in annabel karmels complete baby and toddler meal planner - i just swap the beef for lamb. my 1 year old is a v fussy eater and she loves it. to make it suitable for the family just use regular stock cube rather than no salt one. or just add a bit more salt for yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now