Talk

Advanced search

Is this menu healthy enough for my baby?

(5 Posts)
killerkitty Sat 22-Aug-09 14:32:24

I am weaning my six month old breastfed DD before I go back to work in a few weeks. For months I have tried every method of getting her to take formula milk during the day, however she absolutely refuses to drink milk from bottles and sippy cups - although she will drink water from a doidy cup.

In order to get enough milk into her while I'm at work, will this menu be healthy and give her all the nutrients she needs? For a variation and to make sure she gets plenty of dairy I was going to make things like cauliflower cheese and rice pudding as well.
I also give her bits of finger food to chew on, although she doesn't seem to swallow much.

6.30am wake and 1/2 hour breastfeed

10am 4tbs fruity cereal made with
90ml formula with added apple
+ mini fromage frais

1.30pm 4tbs porridge made with
90ml formula with added
sweet potato
+ mini fromage frais

4.30pm 3tbs sweet potato and philly cheese
stick of cucumber
baby ricecake

6.30pm 1/2 hour breastfeed then bed

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

thisisyesterday Sat 22-Aug-09 14:36:29

i would just breastfeed before and after work and not worry about during the day.
actually, that's a lie, i would probably exp0ress and provide ebm for her during the day because you might find that she takes it from someone else if you aren't around.

it sounds like a lot of food for a 6 month old, tbh, but you know her best!
as i say though, i wouldnt bother with formula and stuff if you'll still be breastfeeding before and after

killerkitty Sat 22-Aug-09 15:25:53

I should add she's a big girl and likes her food, and I don't mind her having formula during the day as I don't want to have to pump. Should she have less formula and more veg and fruit, or should her menu be dairy heavy?

MrsBadger Sat 22-Aug-09 16:01:15

well, it's about 15 times as much as my 6mo would/could ever eat hmm

It's also quite carb-heavy (cereal, porridge, potato) with v little non-dairy protein. She can have fish, meat etc you know.

I'd also replace the Petits Filous with plain greek yog +/- fruit - they are way too sugary for a 6mo IMO

killerkitty Sat 22-Aug-09 16:54:32

Ah you see I thought she needed more “milk” during the day, and as she won't accept it on it's own, I've mixed it in with food - hence all the cereal and porridge. Do you think she needs any formula milk during the day or will morning and evening breastfeeds be enough for her?

And I agree about the petit filous - again I was just pleased she would have dairy as a replacement for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now