Talk

Advanced search

help 1 year old wont drink milk

(9 Posts)
murf Fri 21-Aug-09 22:53:46

hi there

my one year old daughter wont drink formula or cows milk. i have been exclusively breastfeeding and want to stop. i have cut down to two breast feeds a day - morning and for bedtime.

worried she isnt getting enough calcium etc...shes quite a picky eater -she doesnt like yoghurt either. likes cheese though. at the moment i am trying to slip some milk into her water into her cup which she has - when i put just milk in she'll take one sip then no more.

she nurses to sleep so any tips on stopping that would be great too. i have started giving her water with a bit of milk in in a medela haberman bottle (as she refused the avent bottle) - planing to use this to replace the bedtime nursing when she finally accepts cows milk!

any advice would be gratefully received

mears Fri 21-Aug-09 23:00:27

Would try and avoid using a bottle - get her onto a cup.

She doesn't actually need milk as a drink. Does she have milk in breakfast like weetabix, redibrek or porage? Does she like puddings like rice pudding, custard, petit filous?

3 out of 4 of my children did not have milk to drink when they stopped breastfeeding. They went to bed without a drink at all.

sweetkitty Fri 21-Aug-09 23:05:07

Mine is the exact same, we actually have finished BFing now and she still point blank refuses milk. She will eat yoghurt but not cheese although I sneak it into her food. She is a very good eater though.

I didn't go onto bottles at all but went straight to straw cups.

I had a total boob fiend but she has adjusted to no feeding really well. Morning feeds are easy just get up and giver her breakfast, distract her and she hopefully will not "ask" for a feed. Nighttimes we dropped this week (sob) instead of taking her into our bed for a feed then putting her in her cot we just put her straight in her cot, all been fine.

This was a little girl who at 11 1/2 months was waking about 4 times at night for milk and having 2 feeds during the day now at 13 months she is sleeping through the night in her own cot in her room (we coslept) and fully weaned off boob.

neolara Fri 21-Aug-09 23:16:10

My ds refused to drink milk when I stopped bf at 12 months. Fortunately, he did eat lots of yoghurt and cheese and also milk on cereal. We ate a lot of porridge, which sucked up milk. However, I mainly wanted to say that when my ds turned 2, he suddenly became a milk fiend and now it is his drink of choice. It might be worth persisting and offering your dd milk every so often. She might change her mind.

listenglisten Fri 21-Aug-09 23:19:43

broccoli, cauliflower, kale, green cabbage are all rich in calcium. My ds wouldn't drink milk either and I remember my hv (who was excellent) advising me to try and include lots of these in his diet as well as yoghurt, cheese etc.

murf Mon 24-Aug-09 08:39:50

thanks folks good to know other babies are ok with no milk drinks. am worried about how to get her off to sleep at night without nursing though. once shes asleep fine but seems to need that to go off. rubbish at napping too i need to walk with her, rice cake to suck on or drive. havent managed to get her to just 'go down' in her cot. she has never had a dummy.

also if anyone has any good recipes with kale or green cabbage do let me know.

steaknife Wed 26-Aug-09 08:34:09

murf - I used Teach yourself baby sleep for stopping bfing to sleep. Basically swap her routine from bath, book, boob, bed to bath, boob, book, bed.

She made a bit of fuss but soon got used to it.

Good to know that they don't have to have milk, DD does drink it but now I know I don't have to worry about it too much.

steaknife Wed 26-Aug-09 08:35:44

Forgot to say, now DD is used to going to bed at night without the bf it is much easier to get her to nap in her cot in the day too.

murf Tue 15-Sep-09 13:56:46

thanks steakknife i have just ordered the book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now