Talk

Advanced search

Is cheese spread ok for my 6 month old??

(5 Posts)
milkysmum Fri 21-Aug-09 20:32:12

Is it ok for my 6 month old DD to have cheese spread on toast? We are doing BLW and she can manage most things really well. She is in nursery 3 days a week and they have asked if I want them to offer cheese spread on toast/ rice cakes when she is there. She eats a pretty varied diet at home, lots of fruit and veg so would the cheese spread be ok? Worried it might be a tad salty?

thisisyesterday Fri 21-Aug-09 20:37:31

it wouldn;t be my first choice, as you say, salt levels might be a bit high, although i guess no worse than regular cheese?
i tend to steer clear of processed foods in general though

we used to use those pouches of fruit/veg puree on toast for ds2, which went down well

that said i don;t think that cheese spread would b e harmful per se, once a week or so

ThePinkOne Fri 21-Aug-09 20:39:40

Depends whether it's philly type or dairylea. Dairylea is full of added stuff, philly isn't. But as you say it's not going to be a huge amount so it's up to you.

cara2244 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:46:37

We use Philidelphia as it's 1% salt so lower than most cheeses. Standard cheddar is closer to 2%. I tend to spread it thinly on toast instead of marg or butter.

milkysmum Fri 21-Aug-09 20:54:43

We have the philly type at home but I think they use the dairylea at nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now