Talk

Advanced search

Idiots guide to BLW

(12 Posts)
PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 11:21:24

Does anyone have one?

I'd like something to show the grandparents/other carers and it would be handy to have a guide as to when to introduce which new foods...

Or would it be the same as with normal weaning?

MrsBadger Fri 21-Aug-09 11:25:00

there is a book now, you know
[rummages]
here

after 6m almost anything is fair game - if no allergies or allergicky tendencies, just avoid honey, nuts, shellfish and anything with too much salt in.

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 11:33:02

It's easy - honestly. They get to 6 months old. You put them in an Ikea Antilop. You cook whatever you fancy without salt, plonk some on a plate for you, and chuck some on their tray. Eat your meal, and see what they do with theirs.

If you are feeling generous, you may like to adapt your meals slightly with slightly bigger pasta shapes and larger chunks of veg than you would normally.

A lot of the point is not making special meals or over thinking what they eat, but offering healthy family foods.

The only downside - they never realise that there is such a thing as food specially for children and will pinch anything off your plate forever more.

PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 11:39:32

So I can give her meat and eggs and everything? at 6 months.

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 11:49:00

Yup. Meat is easiest for them in big strips so that they can gum it and suck it to death, eventually leaving a sad grey strip of connective tissue, but meatballs soon start to disappear.

elkiedee Fri 21-Aug-09 19:17:24

There's an upside related to the same thing as the downside CMOTD mentioned. If we go to a cafe we often get 2 year old DS1 his own ice cream or cup of milk, but he doesn't really expect a meal of his own or children's meal, so we can share main courses or sweet treats like a piece of cake quite easily.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 21-Aug-09 19:20:01

Also be prepared that some babies will eat very little to start with, but that's ok.

DD is BLW at the mo, and it's only in the last week that she's really started eating (8 months old).

cara2244 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:32:35

"It's easy - honestly. They get to 6 months old. You put them in an Ikea Antilop. You cook whatever you fancy without salt, plonk some on a plate for you, and chuck some on their tray. Eat your meal, and see what they do with theirs."

This is exactly what we did! Another mum asked me today if my baby is on lumps yet (he's 8 months old, and her's is 1 week younger) and I said 'yes he always had been - he just has food'. Couldn't think of a better way to explain it really.
You get to feel very pleased with yourself a lot of the time.

cara2244 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:33:48

Well, pleased with the baby should I say. I was very excited when he ate corn on the cob the other day, and blueberries (especially when I discovered they are delicious!).

PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 21:54:02

We instinctively did that - but I just wanted a guide to show my mum and my in-laws as they look after my daughter quite a bit, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving her anything too early, as she's on Nutramigen for a milk allergy.

Thanks for the tips - MrsBadger, I was just browsing the net and found her website so I've ordered the book. I'll make sure I give that to the g'mas.

cara2244 Sun 23-Aug-09 21:07:30

It does feel really natural and common sense. If there wasn't so much damn advice out there, I think a lot more people would do BLW. But you feel like you're doing something wrong or dangerous. It took me a few weeks to have confidence in what we were doing.

AngryWasp Sun 23-Aug-09 21:17:13

BLW doesn't always have to be lumps either if they are not comfortable. I often soak a weetabix in milk for a bit and then take it out whilst it is still in one piece and put it on a mat on the table for baby Wasp to pick at. I let her eat mash with her hands too, but I rarely spoon it in and if I do I really take care not to urge one last mouthful.

Baby Wasp had solids from 6 months but didn't really eat anything until 8.5. Now she loves her food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now