Talk

Advanced search

Early weaning, what are the rules? Especially blw

(15 Posts)
MinkyBorage Mon 17-Aug-09 23:41:52

DS is 4 months and 10 days. I know I know! He's a big boy, was born 8lb 12oz, and is now 96th centile or thereabouts. Apart from solid food, he is ebf.

A couple of weeks ago I started letting him play with and suck the odd strawberry, piece of melon, ricecake etc as I fully intended to do blw. when he sdeemed ready, but he LOVED sucking the food, and whilst still obviously pretty uncoordinated, has been doing a very good job of jamming food in him mouth. 3 days ago I tried him on some puree as he did seem to be a little frustrated and hungry. He has wolfed down nearly everything I've offered him, and as far as I can tell has not bf any less than before.

Anyway, all the books and recipes I've had a look at are for 6 months and above. I was wondering, should I treat him as a 6 month old baby and offer him everything that it's ok to offer a 6 monther, or do I need to be more careful? I guess I'm thinking about salt (cheese etc rather than actually adding salt or stock to food), meat (although I'm in no hurry to give him meat, just wondering) or anthing else I should know.

I did blw qwith dd2 and she ate pretty much anything, it was a huge success, but he's just not quite coordinated enough to make it work as well as she did as he's just that bit younger, but he's twice as hungry.

Am I going to get bollocked for doing it too soon, or worse still ignored for being very boring and wittering on about it???
what do you think?

MinkyBorage Mon 17-Aug-09 23:42:27

*his mouth, not him mouth!

sleepsforwimps Tue 18-Aug-09 07:08:41

Eh? sorry I don't understand what his birth weight has to do with hunger/weaning. My ds was born 9lb 13oz, exclusively breastfed and Blw at 6 months. Weight has sod all to do with when they need solids, they're insides are not developed earlier because they are big! You just need to give him more milk, he's sucking food because babies put everything in their mouths, give him your shoe he'll probably suck on that same as with the strawberry.

MinkyBorage Tue 18-Aug-09 10:15:04

Blimey, your tone's a little harsh!

I disagree with you, some babies are ready earlier, not all babies are the same. Imo the strict 'rules' are put in place in a similar way to the co sleeping guidelines, in that they can be overly cautious. Maybe your baby wasn't ready, but my ds definitely is. He drools and stares at food, trying to grab it, granted he does bung EVERYTHING in his mouth, babies do, but I very much doubt that he would actually try to swallow my shoe. However, he has made very light work of several strawberries, plums, and melon with very little help from me.
I suppose I put in his weight to demontrate that he has thrived by being bf, and there is no problem with bfing, just that I think he needs more.

MinkyBorage Tue 18-Aug-09 10:15:14

Blimey, your tone's a little harsh!

I disagree with you, some babies are ready earlier, not all babies are the same. Imo the strict 'rules' are put in place in a similar way to the co sleeping guidelines, in that they can be overly cautious. Maybe your baby wasn't ready, but my ds definitely is. He drools and stares at food, trying to grab it, granted he does bung EVERYTHING in his mouth, babies do, but I very much doubt that he would actually try to swallow my shoe. However, he has made very light work of several strawberries, plums, and melon with very little help from me.
I suppose I put in his weight to demontrate that he has thrived by being bf, and there is no problem with bfing, just that I think he needs more.

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:21:15

As you've already started, I would suggest that you avoid gluten, eggs, meat, cows milk.. (anybody else, have I missed anything out) as the gut may not be ready until he's six months old. cows milk is OK in food from 6 months but not as a drink until 12 months. There is some issue with strawberries so young as well, think it's something to do with allergies but my knowledge is sketchy on this. Hopefully someone will come along with more info soon.

this leaves fruit and veg - there's more calories in milk than in an equivalentg volume of puree or fruit/veg, so while it probably won't do him any harm, there's not much point.

He is at classic growth spurt stage - try him with more milk and see what happens

btw - you're on MN and talking about early weaning, be prepared for some strong opinions on this subject..

BellaBear Tue 18-Aug-09 10:21:27

I was told that 'since you've waited until six months, you can give him anything you want' by my HV ie meat, dairy, all sorts. I think it isn't advised to give anything but fruit and veg if you are going to wean before six months. Sure someone who knows more will be more useful!

BellaBear Tue 18-Aug-09 10:23:41

see, there we are, someone who knows more was there even before I posted!

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:24:14

MinkyBorage Tue 18-Aug-09 10:24:27

Thanks, I know re mn and early weaning smile and was expecting a bit of a bashing. I really do believe I am following his cues, and that he is ready, rather than that I am inflicting it on him.
Thanks for your input.

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:31:47

No problem. Have a look through other threads wrt gluten before 6 months (increased risk of coeliac disease) this means no rusks/cereals etc.

I would avoid cheese too, it's hard to digest and has a lot of salt in it (sorry, missed your question about salt in your OP to start with)

I personally don't think that the odd piece of fruit is going to do him any harm though.

LuluMaman Tue 18-Aug-09 10:36:45

if he is showing physical signs of readiness.. and he is showing some, then proceed , but it does seem a little young

can he sit unaided, has he lost his tongue thrust reflex> is he picking up the food himself and self feeding?

giving food before 4 months though is not recommended really, the NHS says no solids before 17 weeks.

the ethos of BLW as you know is that the baby leads the way.. but puree is not a part of that.

if he does not have the co ordiantion to self feed, then more breast milk is the way to go as his outside development is a clue to how mature his insides are and how ready for food he is

4 months is early for food IMO

you cannot offer what is suitable for a 6momths old as he is not 6 months

if you are going to carry on, and personally, i would be inclined not to, is fruit and veg only.

this is classic growth spurt territory and more breast milk will fill him more than a bit of melon

Seona1973 Tue 18-Aug-09 12:41:00

I's avoid gluten, eggs, meat, dairy, nut products, honey, strawberries, raspberries and citrus fruits.

when is it safe to feed my baby...?

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 12:47:49

good link.

MinkyBorage Tue 18-Aug-09 17:12:50

brilliant, thanks for that link, I'll look at it properly later.
Damn re strawberries. I thought I knew what I was doing until I started doing it! Can't remember anythingfrom the other dc.

ds can sit very well in a high chair, and is getting quite good unaided too, but doesn't last that long.

He can take food from my hand, big stuff, but can't pick it up from the table, and he can jam it in to his mouth too, but drops it a lot.

I do know what you are saying though.

he is 20 weeks tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now