Talk

Advanced search

BLW- How to explain it to the nursery?

(7 Posts)
PatTheHammer Mon 17-Aug-09 18:04:32

Right, we are well into this BLW and DS loves it, eats anything and everything. He is 7 and half mths and has his first nursery settling in day on wednesday (He will be 8 mths when he starts proper). Anyone else had experience of explaining to the nursery how their child eats?
They do purees, mashed or chopped food for babies but I guess it is none of these as choppped is too small. Shall I just say he would eat what the toddlers have and likes to feed himself? He will not be spoon fed but will except loaded spoons of yoghurt/porridge etc.
Do you think they will be ok or not do it because they think its a choking risk or something?
Oh, and do I warn them about the messgrin

I'm figuring there must be other babies they have had there who haven't had mush but I don't want to look over-fussy or a bit weird IYSWIM!

PatTheHammer Mon 17-Aug-09 22:16:49

BUMP!

BertieBotts Mon 17-Aug-09 22:19:29

I sometimes cut up food for my DS (10 months) - as long as they have a pincer grip (can't remember if he did by 8 months) they can handle chopped food.

I'm sure I have seen threads on this before grin Your toddler food explanation sounds the simplest.

PatTheHammer Tue 18-Aug-09 08:15:20

Thanks Bertie, was thinking last night that meals such as mashed potato (cottagepie/fish pie etc) could be done on loaded spoons and rest could be roughly chopped (he does have quite a good pincer, can pick up a pea etc). Sure that they will understand and not think I'm mad..........hopefullysmile

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Aug-09 08:20:51

My HV is now advocating BLW over purees. If news has reached our rural backwater, then surely your nursery have some idea about BLW? Have you asked them ?

MummyElk Tue 18-Aug-09 08:24:06

i'd be quite firm with the nursery and tell them exactly how he eats - and perhaps ask them if you can take an example of what he'd eat and show them what he does??
I reckon most nurseries are pretty accepting of things, be open minded and you never know they might have had a blwer before?! You just need to make them understand that you've done a great job so far with BLW and would prefer not to see him suddenly accept everything on spoons!
See how it goes and look forward to hearing how it went. good luck tomorrow

PatTheHammer Tue 18-Aug-09 18:27:35

Cheers for the help guys.

Bikerunski- Thats what I am going to do tomorrow, ask them, just not sure how to phrase it really. I'm sure there will have been others there. My HV is actually quite clued up about it and really encouraging too so its good to hear others are!

MummyElk- Taking some food is a great idea smile. Now I just have to worry about whether he will cry for 2 hours non-stop sad (p.s Second-born so no reason to be all pfb about him but just don't want to leave his gorgeous chunkiness)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now