Talk

Advanced search

So, I love the idea of BLW but ....

(10 Posts)
Littledawley Sun 16-Aug-09 10:22:23

I have 2 older children so I know where I am with purees IYSWIM. Also, although i happily waited until 27 weeks with DD, this baby is trying to grab food already and will put anything in her mouth!! She's 22 weeks and I really can't imagine waiting 4 more before giving something more than milk.
I'd really appreciate hearing other peoples thoughts and experiences.

Littledawley Sun 16-Aug-09 11:12:50

Anyone??

Montifer Sun 16-Aug-09 11:26:32

I found BLW an absolute joy, no experience of purees but have seen friends spending hours preparing food/purees and getting stressed about how much is getting spooned in and eaten.
I found this website really helpful.
I would guess that if your DD gets some food to her mouth at this stage she'll explore it and spit it back out. I think some babies are raring to go from early on, DS took what seemed like forever, didn't get into eating properly until about 8 months.

Littledawley Sun 16-Aug-09 11:37:07

Thanks so much for the link. Is it okay to give her food to explore at this age? I fully support the idea that milk I'd still her main source of nutrition and am not trying to fill her up. do you think it's okay to start early with some roasted carrots? Will be cooking lunch later...
I feel like I'm being a bit of a dimwit about it all!!!

you Sun 16-Aug-09 12:14:50

She won't be able to actually chew and swallow any food until she is ready, so it's fine to give her food now to play with, but stick with just fruit and veg till 6 months

Some babies are ready earlier than others hence why BLW is just that... baby led! She won't be able, physically, to do anything her body isn't ready for.

ThePinkOne Sun 16-Aug-09 13:25:28

My DS is 6 months next week but at 21 weeks he was clamouring to be at the table with us. I brought him over with us to have some milk, which he wouldn't, so I sat him up and he was reaching for the fruit dd and I were eating. I thought 'go on then you silly sod! you won't know what to do with it anyway!!' and put some banana on the table in front of him... which he promptly picked up, bit, chewed and swallowed shock So I carried on smile Just at breakfast and then added tea-time, and still only fruit, veg and the odd rice cake.

It's great cause he's so into it, which dd never really was - puree fed and totally non-plussed about it!

Just try and see how she goes. There's no rush.

Littledawley Sun 16-Aug-09 15:24:27

Brilliant- thanks. She was chomping on some cucumber yesterday but I took it off her as I wasn't sure I should let her yet. As far as I can see the main 'rule' is that I shouldn't put anything in her mouth?? She sits in her trip trap at mealtimes so I might try putting something in front of her tonight.

Littledawley Sun 16-Aug-09 19:50:25

She held onto a bit of carrot at dinner and chomped away - don't know if any went in but there were little bits all over her face and vest! Still not certain I'll BLW but we may give it a go in a few more weeks.
Thanks for all the advice.

cara2244 Tue 18-Aug-09 17:40:57

I gave bits of fruit and veg at 5.5 months, and bread a week or so short of 6 months.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Aug-09 17:45:56

Oh yes absolutely, if she is grabbing food now, let her have it There is a list of things to avoid but I can never remember it, so the short version is stick to soft fruit & veg till 6 months, then they can have anything except honey, too much salt, too much sugar, and choking risks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now