Talk

Advanced search

Does it count as BLW if you 'help' your baby occasionally?

(8 Posts)
pinkthechaffinch Fri 14-Aug-09 20:19:28

Hi
Just wondered if any other BLWers will admit to doing this.
My 6.5 month old DD enjoys and is quite good at feeding herself. I will, however, frequently pop dropped bits of food back into her mouth and one meal a day, I will spoon feed her porridge shock.
Can I still call myself a BLWer?

(btw dropped food in her lap or on table, not on floor!)

pinkthechaffinch Fri 14-Aug-09 20:44:04

oh dear, so I am the only one
(hangs head in shame and shuffles off)

Tommy Fri 14-Aug-09 20:46:43

I think the BLW police will be onto you

wink

Seriously though, do what you feel is best for your family - and that's all there is to it! smile

drowninginclutter Fri 14-Aug-09 20:58:30

I don't think it really matters. I think if you're desperate to call what you do BLWing then a purist would say it had to be with no spoon feeding or help. If you're just doing what makes you and your DD happy you can call it whatever you like. smile

DS had mainly finger food but quite a few meals from a spoon, I let him manouver it once I'd loaded it up. Messy at first but he got good at it surprisingly quickly.

I have no idea whether that makes us BLWers or not but it worked for us.

pinkthechaffinch Fri 14-Aug-09 21:04:19

I think I'm actually going to call what I'm doing 'Mixed BLW' and write a book about it!

wink

suspiciousssss Fri 14-Aug-09 21:09:03

You did WHAT? shock you use a <whispers> spoon once a day shock you should be ashamed to call yourself a BLWer. how could you? You are going to get so flamed for this.

grin grin grin

patcow Sun 16-Aug-09 21:34:43

hey i use a loaded up spoon too (yoghurt, porridge) and DD (6 months)just loves trying to aim it at her mouth! tbh i think she just wants to chew it to help her poor gums but if it means she has fun then that's cool.

WidowWadman Sun 16-Aug-09 21:44:06

I thought the beauty of BLW is that you don't need to follow any rules? I help my daughter by loading a spoon for her while she tries doing it herself too. We always have two spoons in operation.

IIRC, Gill Rapley even suggests this in her book, and even if she didn't, anybody who thinks that this would make our method of weaning not 'true' BLW can get stuffed.

People should rather follow their common sense and instinct than adhere to strict rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now