Talk

Advanced search

2nd Stage weaning advice.

(6 Posts)
HarryB Wed 12-Aug-09 13:20:48

Hi, grateful for advice. DS has done great on the purees and I am now mashing most of his food rather than totally blending. I do wonder, however, about approriate portion sizes. I have been following the HIPP weaning chart and as of last week, DS was on 20 spoons per solid feed, per meal. Do I carry on with that, or should he be eating more. He is just over 7 months and on 3 solid meals per day.

Oh, and can I give him minced beef yet, say, with pasta?

Thanks smile

MamaKaty Wed 12-Aug-09 13:47:50

Every child is different and you are the best person to know what your child needs - if your DS seems to have a greater appetite that prescribed then I would follow your instinct and give him as much healthy food as he wants to eat.
And yes - from 6 months on the iron stores that your baby was born with start to run low so minced beef, etc is a perfect food to boost his iron levels, and well cooked pasta is a great food for baby to learn to chew.
Good luck!

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 14:01:10

yes, you can give him anything except (er) honey, salty things and choky things like grapes. And anything you're avoiding due to allergies, obv.

how is he on finger food? That makes it dead easy for them to regulate their own intake and they have a lot of fun.

(NB be wary of following weaning advice from someone who has a vested interest in selling you stuff...)

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 14:04:17

...and don't worry, his iron stores aren't 'starting to run low', they are just starting to run down - they don't run low till about 12m

good iron info here

HarryB Wed 12-Aug-09 17:44:22

Thanks Mrs badger and mamakaty. I have tried him on a bit of finger food - banana - which he hated, but that was more the taste as he hated mashed banana. I will persevere with some other stuff.

MrsB, the only HIPP stuff I buy is their cereal. Just downloaded the weaning chart as a guide. smile

Thanks again.

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 11:03:49

smile

honestly, give him the crusts off your sandwiches

lazy baby-led weaning is ace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now