Talk

Advanced search

Confused about breast milk and weaning.

(8 Posts)
JamInMyWellies Sun 09-Aug-09 18:19:27

Another poster told me last night that I should be offering breast just before or after every meal my DS 7mth has. He has the same amount of BF a day he had before I started weaning so I just assumed I would continue to offer the breast at the same times as before and add in the solids.

Am now a little unsure whether he is getting enough milk. I assume he is as I have not dropped any BF.

Is this ok?

Seona1973 Sun 09-Aug-09 20:03:42

if its working for you then stick with it. Everyone does it differently and no way is the 'right' way to do it.

JamInMyWellies Sun 09-Aug-09 20:08:49

Thanks Seona was a bit unsure how I was going to get him to take more on board. As he is a wriggly feeder at the best of times.

greensnail Sun 09-Aug-09 20:44:32

I've just continued to bf on demand, and I give dd food when we eat. Works fine for us.

hairymelons Sun 09-Aug-09 20:53:30

Sounds fine. It's hard to know with BF what kind of volume they're taking in but in a way you just have to trust their appetites. If you haven't dropped any feeds, he'll be getting all he needs.
Course, he'll want to feed less over time. I remember worrying a bit about whether DS's milk intake was high enough at around 9 months but just made sure he had plenty of dairy in his diet and offered water too.

JamInMyWellies Sun 09-Aug-09 21:15:41

Cool cheers for that will carry on as we were.

thisisyesterday Sun 09-Aug-09 21:22:30

jam.. the reason you were advised on the other thread to offer milk before solids is because you were worried about milk supply!

so yes, i would tend to agree that if you are feeding on demand and your baby is taking well to solids and all is going well then of courser you should just carry on as you are.

but you were concerned about something so people gave advice to ensure a good milk supply.

JamInMyWellies Mon 10-Aug-09 07:55:49

I know TIY I wasnt complaining its just I had never heard of doing that.

I was trying to gauge whether he would just take a bottle even if he had had a BF or whether it was because he was hungry. My question was answered that he would take a bottle even if he wasnt particularily hungry.

I was just querying with this thread if I should be offering boob with meals as well as his other feeds. Which I did yesterday and he was having none of it. So thanks for the advice on both threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now