Talk

Advanced search

What to avoid before 6 months?

(14 Posts)
pinkspottywellies Sat 08-Aug-09 20:40:20

DS started BLW at 21 and a half weeks (to my eternal shame blush I was determined to be a 26 weeker!) and I know I need to avoid gluten before 26 weeks but am also avoiding dairy, meat, fish etc. Basically just giving him fruit, veg, rice and oats. Is this necessary or is it really just wheat that's the main one?

TIA

hf128219 Sat 08-Aug-09 20:42:07

I thought it was just solids!

pinkspottywellies Sat 08-Aug-09 20:55:57

Thanks for the tip. Try telling DS that <rolls eyes>

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 20:58:22

why? is he raiding the fridge wink

seriously, if you want to wait until 26 weeks you can, after all you're the one handing the food over!!!

if you really don't want to wait though i would do the same and just offer fruit/veg

puffylovett Sat 08-Aug-09 20:58:26

There's Gluten in oats rye and barley too, in case you didn't realise... otherwise just keep going as you are smile

pinkspottywellies Sat 08-Aug-09 21:07:49

Oh I didn't realise about oats, rye and barley. Thanks.

I know I'm the one handing over the food, but I have to sit down and eat with my toddler too and the choice between a whinging, crying baby with no food, or a happy baby with a stick of cucumber or banana? Well, no contest for me.

Reallytired Sat 08-Aug-09 21:08:49

If you are truely baby led then you start when the baby leads you, not at some arbitary date.

My 16 week baby grabbed a bit of lettice today off my plate and tried to stick it up her nose. At the moment grabbing stuff she isnt supposed to have is a brilliant game.

She has not yet got the coordination to get it into her mouth, chew and swallow it. She is just exploring her enviroment. Eventually she will have the coordination.
Generally by this point the gut is mature enough for food. Some babies are ready earlier than others.

I think there is some confusion on this thread what baby led weaning is. When they are truely ready then the gut has matured and you no longer have to worry about what they eat.

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 21:09:39

have you tried just giving him a spoon to play with? or a beaker of water/ebm? that worked for a little while with ds2.

puffylovett Sat 08-Aug-09 21:12:05

It depends though reallytired, I intro'd wheat really early - big mistake, it made his eczema horrific.

DC2 due sept will BLW too but I will only be handing over the mildest fruit and veg for a good few months, just to be on the safe side.

I truely believed the concept that DS would avoid anything he was allergic / intolerant to but in our case it didn't work sad

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 21:12:47

reallytired, i know that, and have said as much on here before. i used to frequent another forum and we actually asked Gill Rapley about this issue and she was kind enough to give her thoughts.

but 21 weeks is still pretty early

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 21:13:47

i think reallytired is just referring to their physical ability to both manage to eat food, and then digest it.
not specifically with foods to avoid iyswim?

pinkspottywellies Sat 08-Aug-09 21:16:16

I agree Reallytired, however if there is any possibility that it might cause problems then I'd rather leave things out for a while longer.

He did just have a beaker of water tonight thisisyest and wasn't bothered with the food I gave him but normally, no just a toy isn't good enough.

giantkatestacks Sat 08-Aug-09 21:18:21

I would avoid egg as well - we had a reaction to that - and banana just because it can bung up their digestion - especially if you're weaning 'early'...

pinkspottywellies Sun 09-Aug-09 11:41:17

Thanks everyone. Having thought about it I think I was keen to 'get on with it' now that we've started! Also hoping for him to get filling up on something other than me (not enjoying bf!) and to hopefully sleep a bit better.

All rubbish reasons to try and rush really so I'm going to carry on taking it slowly, and just stick with fruit and veg.

So thanks to everyone for you comments. It helped me think it through a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now