Talk

Advanced search

Want baby to join family meals but what time do you eat?

(12 Posts)
sjcmum Wed 05-Aug-09 20:29:10

Quick question... 7 mo DD2 - partly BLW, partly stuff on spoons - but definitely want her to eat with us and DD1 (nearly 3). Have been eating at around 5.30pm - but worried that is a bit late for her...

Just curious to know - what time do you eat your meals to keep everyone happy??

nickytwotimes Wed 05-Aug-09 20:31:38

5.30 is fine.
I am not sure why anone would think it might be 'too late'. A wee snack at 3.30 will keep her going.

haventsleptforayear Wed 05-Aug-09 20:31:56

Late???

We ate at around 6.30-7 when the DC were that age.

They had a snack around 4 to keep them going.

They also napped.

But we are not on the English 7am-7pm routine with kids eating separately.

Ours go to bed at 8-8.30 and kept an afternoon nap for longer.

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 05-Aug-09 20:34:05

I tend to have tea around 5.30/6ish with the DCs, 2.4yo and 7.5months, BLW. Its too early for me really so I have a small portion with them and another meal later on <fatty>

sjcmum Thu 06-Aug-09 14:34:16

Thanks - good to know I'm not mad - I just seem to be the only one of my friends who does it like this - everyone else seems to feed their kids at 4.30-5ish on their own, and I would much rather they ate with us! As long as I have an early lunch, I'm hungry enough to eat then.....

MiniMarmite Thu 06-Aug-09 21:21:43

5:30 here but a snack for DS around 4.

We don't manage to all eat together every day because DH gets home from work later so I tend to do what Moaning does on those days (i.e. small meal for me) and we eat together on Friday's and at weekends.

DS is 11 months. Hoping to push it to 6 in the next few months or might consider what Haventslept is doing as we used to eat much later (8 or 9).

pigleychez Mon 10-Aug-09 15:16:35

My DD is now 12mths but has been BLW since 6mths.

Ever since we started we always sit together at the dinner table. DH gets home from work about 5.30 and dinner is about 6ish and I dish meals up at the table.

Im a big fan of eating together as it creates such a nice family time. No TV, sat at the table together. DD chats away to us and watches the birds in the garden.
Even at 1yr she says Ta without being promoted when given her food and feeds herself very well, both finger foods and loaded spoons.

PinkTulips Mon 10-Aug-09 15:18:42

we often eat even later atm and ds2 joins us... think it's fine tbh smile

MrsTittleMouse Mon 10-Aug-09 15:26:46

5.30pm is early for us! 6pm is still early enough to digest and calm down before bedtime at 7pm. Both DDs tend to have a snack at about 3pm anyway, as I can't wait from noon until 6pm (or 7.30pm if we're having grown-up dinner)!

DottyDot Mon 10-Aug-09 15:31:40

We've always done 6pm which works well - now ds's are getting older we're happy for it to drift to 6.30pm - one day we might even get back to 7pm which is when we used to eat pre-children (sigh!).

mummypig Mon 10-Aug-09 15:46:37

We eat about 5.30-6pm too. That's me, ds1, ds2 and ds3. If dp's around he eats with us, otherwise he heats it up later. Ds3 has joined in with family meals since he started on solids (blw) at 6m. After tea the older boys play around a bit, I tidy up (a bit!) and then put ds3 to bed. It works pretty well.

On school days the older boys would have something straight after school so ds3 would have something to eat at the same time if he's hungry.

Horton Wed 12-Aug-09 09:51:57

We eat at around 6 or 6.30 with DD who is nearly three. I give her a substantial snack at about 4pm when she wakes after her nap to get her through until dinner time (fruit, bread, yoghurt etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now