Talk

Advanced search

BLW and constipation?

(25 Posts)
Hulla Tue 04-Aug-09 17:49:07

We started BLW a week ago and dd seems to be constipated. She is crying in agony and straining (it is coming out slowly like paste).

Is it something she's eaten? What can I do? She's so upset. today she's had toast with banana on and sucked the philly off a rice cake.

Any ideas? Shes bf, not having any extra water (told it wasn't needed).

PortAndLemon Tue 04-Aug-09 17:56:13

Banana's not great for constipation, tbh. Bear in mind that the suggested diet for children who have a case of the... ahem... opposite problem is the BRAT diet (Bananas, Applesauce, Rice, Toast) so I'd try to cut back on those with a child who seems to be constipated. Have you checked out the baby led weaning blog and forum for ideas -- off the top of my head, some steamed broccoli or other vegetable, or some porridge pancakes, or some non-banana fruit?

I would start offering water, as well. It's not necessary, and I'd be at least mildly surprised if she drinks it in any significant quantity off her own bat, but it starts to introduce the idea of water at mealtimes and the idea of drinking out of a sippy cup, and that will pay off in several months when you do want her to drink it.

Hulla Tue 04-Aug-09 17:57:43

Thanks Port, she didn't seem to eat much banana but perhaps she had more than I thought. I didn't realise it could cause constipation. I feel terrible. She is so upset and she really smells.

Can I do anything to help her constipation?

diedandgonetodevon Tue 04-Aug-09 18:01:02

Oranges if she will eat them, or prunes work wonders on constipation without being harsh. Just keep everything moving.

diedandgonetodevon Tue 04-Aug-09 18:02:36

Or as you're bf- if you drink plenty of orange juice it will have the same effect just through your milk instead.

PortAndLemon Tue 04-Aug-09 18:06:37

Cause constipation is probably a little strong -- but it may aggravate it if (for whatever reason) she's a bit constipated at the moment.

Probably what I would do is give her a wider range of vegetables over the next couple of days and ease back on the toast. And maybe mix a little bit (really, don't overdo it) of prune juice into anything she was eating that was suitable, or offer her a couple of prunes (e.g. take the skin off and have mushed-up prune on a small rice cake) or even just give her a couple of small spoonfuls of prune juice (not strictly BLW, but just to get things moving again). But that's just what I'd do and I have no idea whether it's actually a good idea, objectively speaking.

Hulla Tue 04-Aug-09 18:15:38

diedandgonetodevon that is great, I have a bag of satsuma type things so I'll eat a few of those. I tried to get her to drink some water but she isn't interested. She should feed lots tonight so hopefully that will sort it out.

Thanks again!

Hulla Tue 04-Aug-09 18:17:12

Thanks Port I'll get some prunes and try those. I did wonder about her having so much bread (well, she didn't seem to eat much of it so I didn't think it could be that).

DitaVonCheese Wed 05-Aug-09 21:11:09

<waves>

DD's poops went rock-hard for a while after starting BLW (occasionally they'd roll off the nappy while being carried to the loo, and bounce!). They were much easier to deal with but I did worry about it a bit. She really loves dried apricots (the dark ones without sulphur dioxide in are supposed to be better) and prunes - I either just hand her the whole thing or warm them in a little water beforehand if they're a bit hard. Oh, I did puree some prunes one day with some strawberries and let her eat it off a spoon. She also loves orange or clementine-type things - I usually just bite off the bit of skin where the pips would be iyswim and then she has a good suck on it and spits out the husks.

Her poo was really hard for ages but by then she was still getting loads of bf, dried fruit every day and water with every meal, so I just tried not to worry about it.

I also started a thread on the BLW boards here if that's any help

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 08:25:56

<waves back> Long time no see! How was the bf picnic? I couldn't make it sorry, I got my dates wrong - we were in Cheshire the week before.

Thanks for this, she woke at 5.30am this morning upset again trying to poo. She can be distracted though so I don't think its hurting so much as she doesn't like the sensation/effort!

I'm shopping today so I'll pick some up. It has made me worried about what to give her. I am now struggling with what to give her for breakfast...[needs more imagination emoticon] smile

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 08:31:53

Ooh I hadn't seen that forum, thanks Dita. I bet I can find inspiration on there.

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 08:56:37

Have you noticed Dita how I just follow you around different forms? Any others you think I'd like? grin

PortAndLemon Thu 06-Aug-09 10:40:04

<goes into big snark that her link to the very same forum two days ago was overlooked>

grin

(not really)

((not really in a big snark", not "not really grin")

grin

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 11:29:28

blush blush Oh god, sorry port, I intended to look at your link but dd was howling while dh was coaching her to poo so I was getting a bit stressed and forgot!

<dies of shame>

mokins Thu 06-Aug-09 11:47:23

My 7 month old is also really constipated having started BLW about a month ago. He managed his first poo today in 9 days! but it was tiny and he cried so much whilst doing it. I've been trying massage on his tummy 2x a day to try and get things moving as he won't dring water just breast milk.
I've tried looking at the forum you mentioned for more ideas but i can't seem to register on it. Any suggestions?
Will cut back on the bread and try rice cakes instead for a while and see how that goes.

greensnail Thu 06-Aug-09 13:10:50

Lol at Hulla's DH coaching DD to poo - I have a wonderful image of it in my head grin

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 13:27:06

grin she was lying on a nappy on the changing mat, bare from the waist down, crying and he was saying "you can do it, come on!". I was getting really cross "DH put her bloody nappy on and give her a cuddle, she doesn't understand you!".

She just had 3 dried apricots - big success. Mokins I have skipped bread for today - lunch was cucumber, apricots and a couple of pieces of my pasta which she just sucked the sauce off.

Port I have also introduced a sippy cup of water which I thought she'd just chuck on the floor but I think she might have drunk some. She's been playing with the cup for a while so she can get it to her mouth ok. I looked for prunes too but they only had chopped ones in my local supermarket and I wasn't sure what to do with those.

PortAndLemon Thu 06-Aug-09 14:04:49

That's a marvellous mental image! Perhaps he could come up with a supportive chant as well? Apricots should help (with the poo rather than the chant).

greensnail Thu 06-Aug-09 14:08:22

Haha that's just the sort of thing my DH would do too, although he'd probably add some straining noises and faces as well to help her get the idea wink

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 14:14:39

Lol, if he'd done that I'd have got the video camera out!!

I'm getting some pom poms.

greensnail Thu 06-Aug-09 14:49:24

grin

DitaVonCheese Thu 06-Aug-09 17:25:40

We have actually videoed DD's poo face because it's so funny blush There is a theory that they actually enjoy all the straining and/or that they're only crying because it's an unusual sensation and they don't know what it is, but not sure how true it is.

Hulla grin - picnic went well, thanks, though sorry not to meet you! A lot of girls from t'purple place actually ended up on a place called MTW - not sure whether you're on there or not. If you're not and would like to be then let me know - much smaller than here so easier to know everyone but not the same breadth of experience to draw on. I am very glad to have led you to MN though, I love it

mokins - I had huge probs on that site as well, hence hardly posting on there It's run by Aitch from here (I think) so you could try giving her a shout out (or just bump mine!)

Hulla Thu 06-Aug-09 19:52:34

Dita I am friends in RL with two purple place people (from my birth club) and I think one of them sent me the link to that site via FB. I'll see if I can find it, if not can I message you on FB for it?

cara2244 Thu 06-Aug-09 20:28:03

Porridge with chopped up dried apricots works a treat with my 7.5 month old.

DitaVonCheese Thu 06-Aug-09 21:40:11

Of course grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now