Talk

Advanced search

When can you switch to semi skimmed milk for children?

(14 Posts)
waitingforbetterdays Mon 03-Aug-09 22:22:37

I read somewhere children need full fat milk and I'm wondering when they can use semi skimmed milk? As I have to buy two different milks at the moment.

SpeckledHen Mon 03-Aug-09 22:28:55

Age 2 I think. HTH

waitingforbetterdays Mon 03-Aug-09 22:37:59

Oh thats good, dd is 2 now, I just dont want to have full fat milk in my house if possible as I keep using it and can do without the extra calories...

ash6605 Mon 03-Aug-09 22:45:20

I thought it was 5 tbh? my two are 6 and 10 and i still give them whole milk,over the years i have just got used to buying two different milks.

waitingforbetterdays Mon 03-Aug-09 23:03:21

Really, I better check it out somewhere online. The only reason I dont want to buy two different milks is because it is only me and dd. But if she needs it it will not be a big problem, would rather her have what she needs. Just interested to know really...

Seona1973 Tue 04-Aug-09 07:50:05

semi-skimmed is ok from the age of 2. Skimmed shouldn't be used till the age of 5. We are back to using semi-skimmed since ds turned 2.

Seona1973 Tue 04-Aug-09 08:38:55

p.s. from Food Standards Agency:

Full-fat or semi-skimmed milk?

From two years old, you can start giving your toddler semi-skimmed milk. Fully skimmed milk isn't suitable as a main drink until they're five years old, because it doesn't contain enough calories for a growing child.

elle23 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:37:07

Ok, here goes....I have alway given my 3 children semi-skimmed milk from when they were a year old shock

I did try them on full-fat but it seemed to disagree with all of them for some reason. Health Visitor said it wasn't an issue as long as their diet was healthy & balanced, and she advised me to add another snack to their day (ie an extra piece of fruit).

alysonpeaches Tue 04-Aug-09 20:04:36

Used to be age 5 but these things change dont they?

waitingforbetterdays Fri 07-Aug-09 10:15:46

Ok great, thank you to everyone for the replies... smile

portico Tue 09-Dec-14 22:26:32

Can I give my 9yr old and my 11 yr old Semi Skimmed Milk. I read both the blue to and green top Cravendale Milk, and noticed that only the fat content in Semi was less. Everything else was the same.

ReinholdMessner Sat 13-Dec-14 11:21:18

This is a zombie thread but yes, portico, of course you can. The additional fat and calories are most important for pre-schoolers.

Sleepyfergus Sat 13-Dec-14 13:29:05

I was told when they turn 2. Full fat everything until then, after that, they need to maintain a healthy diet without any extra fats. So no full fat butter, excessive amts of cream etc.

bonzo77 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:38:27

Tbh unless you (the adult who prefers semi-) gets through a lot of milk, say more than half a pint a day, i don't think the calories differential is that vast. I Switched to full cream for all of us 3.5 years ago when ds1 turned 1 with no consequences for my waist line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now