Talk

Advanced search

7 month old doesn't like food! When will she start to eat?

(9 Posts)
Ginni Thu 30-Jul-09 22:20:41

Started offering finger foods and purees at 6 months, she has very little interest in eating anything. If we try to spoon feed her she usually clamps her mouth firmly closed and cries to stop us, or if she does voluntarily open her mouth then she'll accept one mouthfull then clamp it shut again until we back off. I'm interested in BLW hence the finger foods, she likes playing around with different foods I put in front of her but very little is going in. She is certainly a fussy eater.

I'm interested to hear other mothers experiences of fussy eaters at this age - when did your child start to enjoy food and actually eat it?

(Btw dd is still getting plenty of breastmilk so not too concerned about her nutrient status as yet!)

MinkyBorage Thu 30-Jul-09 22:21:53

food is for fun, until they're one..... apparently.
Don't qworry about it, she'll get it soon.

MinkyBorage Thu 30-Jul-09 22:23:28

btw, that's the point of blw, let her play around with it, she'll get confidence and become interested that way, it really doesn't matter a jot how much goes in at this stage, only how she feels about it, and if she feels under pressure, than it isn't going to work

whyme2 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:25:58

My dd was like this until around 8 months. She is 11 months now and eats everything we eat.

Ginni Thu 30-Jul-09 22:26:14

thanks - what foods have you found have been most "interesting" for your BLW babies? I could do with a few more ideas, ta

Montifer Thu 30-Jul-09 22:30:09

DS didn't show much interest until 8-9 months, by 12 months he devoured everything edible in his sight (and quite a lot of inedible stuff too actually).

This site is great for support and ideas.

Have fun smile

cara2244 Mon 03-Aug-09 20:42:39

Half a corn on the cob! My 7.5 month old loved it. I was amazed he could even hold it.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 03-Aug-09 20:48:28

My DD is 7 months and we are going down the BLW route with her. Things she has enjoyed: steamed brocolli and carrot sticks, chunks of roast butternut squash, potato wedges, spaghetti with lentil and tomato sauce, strips of omlette, sweetcorn, nice ripe fruit, pancakes, toast, rice cakes, bits of meat to suck on...

Very little is going in, her nappies are still v much breastmilk with bits in, but I know that if she's anything like her older brother, it may be a few months before she starts eating anything in quantity.

7 months is too young to really be fussy, just keep offering a range of interesting stuff and your DD will get the hang of it

AitchTwoOh Mon 03-Aug-09 20:53:21

that's my site, thanks for linking monty! grin

agree totally that talk of fussy eating is premature (actually i dislike the label entirely tbh).

dd2 took longer to get the hang of things than her sister, i think she was a good nine months before she really ate. no biggie, i was expecting it, she was prem so we absolutely had to take things at her pace. she HATES broccoli but loves edamame. her pincer grip is second-to-none. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now