Talk

Advanced search

help with 1 year old dn who won't eat!

(18 Posts)
yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:35:25

Sorry if this subject has been done to death

my nephew is just 1 year old and until recently was having 4 bottles of formula a day

he's not that interested in food, will eat a bit of toast or fruit but otherwise it's milk only

I don't think this is a problem but the HV has told my sister that he shouldn't be on formula now and should be eating more solid food

My sister is now giving him cow's milk, but he will not eat anything substantial

He is getting more cranky and tired, not surprising as all his vitamins and iron from the formula are not being replaced

My sister is obviously worried, I have told her to go back to the formula and gradually reduce it and that it's not a big deal as he will eat a little

What do you think? Any advice welcome, it so long since I've had to think about this stage!

K999 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:41:20

If he is drinking full fat milk, I would not worry! My lo did not each much at this stage either! Has your sister tried BLW?

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:44:10

yes I suppose, but there's no iron in cows milk? or have I got that wrong?

he slept for 3 hours this pm, not like him at all

navyeyelasH Wed 29-Jul-09 19:44:12

What food is she trying to feed him and what does he do when shown the food?

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:45:04

my sister would not entertain the idea of BLW grin

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:47:19

he has a piece of toast (like a 'soldier' size) for breakfast, then nothing else until tea-time

then he may have a couple of grapes or pieces of kiwi or half a banana

refuses all other food, clamps mouth shut

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:48:38

won't eat yoghurt or cheese or breadsticks

will eat a bag of wotsits though hmm

PrincessToadstool Wed 29-Jul-09 19:50:14

Well if it were me I'd just try to get him used to being around food, does he eat with the family? Tempt him with different bits and bobs, take it back to basics, and try not to fret though it must be very worrying.

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 19:54:08

thanks, PrincessToadstool, I think that's sensible advice smile

PrincessToadstool Wed 29-Jul-09 19:55:56

I'd also continue the formula as long as she is concerned, it certainly is not going to do harm, but is obviously more expensive - but if it gives your sister peace of mind then that's probably worth it.

Even though you say he is not that interested, they do all go through phases and it's important to remember it can all change so quickly.

navyeyelasH Wed 29-Jul-09 19:58:33

Is it being given on a spoon? Has she tried giving him the spoon and letting him "feed" himself while she actually does the real feeding that might be a good distraction. Or putting things in on his plate/tray and letting him use his hands to make food fun.

It sounds like there are no physical difficulties if he will eat wotsits and fruit etc. If he doesn't eat does your sister give him stuff like wotsits just so he has something?

If he eats toasts what about sarnies, rice cakes, crispbreads etc? What aoout boiled egg, boiled veggies etc? Pasta, cous couse, fish pie?

At 1 years old he should be getting most of his nutrients from food. Eating is important not just for nutrients etc but also to develop facial muscles for speech etc.

Where does your sister live? The is this company that does this baby class called taste sensations ro something and it's about exploring (not really eating) food; this it's only in SW though.

navyeyelasH Wed 29-Jul-09 19:59:51

ps when did she start to wean?

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 20:08:50

she lives NW

he will play with a spoon, but as soon as she tries to get it near his mouth then he turns his head away

he feeds himself finger food

he found the wotsits on the sofa, left there by his brother

she is struggling because her older two were easy to feed, so it's all new, the joys of a fussy child smile

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 20:10:50

not sure when she started weaning, probably 16 weeks as that is still the advice from her HV (i know, i know)

I don't think cutting all the formula out to force him to eat solid food is good advice

navyeyelasH Wed 29-Jul-09 20:15:00

Gosh no she soul certainly be giving something some formula is necessary. Could she go give part formula and part food. If he feeds himself finger food why not let him eat finger food? Some babies don't like to be fed off spoons.

littleducks Wed 29-Jul-09 20:42:03

just give him finger food if he eats that

cut down the formula from 4 bottles to 3, then when he is eating more swap to cow milk,

yappybluedog Wed 29-Jul-09 21:00:44

I will pass this on, thanks all

starrmummy Thu 30-Jul-09 09:46:41

Hi - I have a slightly different problem which you may be able to help with. My 1 year old is happy to eat most foods but only if they are pureed. I have tried finger foods which she is happy to stuff into her mouth, but then spits them out. I have tried vegetables, bits of fruit, rice cakes etc. but she either doesn't want or can't chew it and swallow it. I try not to get stressed, but she doesn't seem to want to progress. Any ideas on what I can do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now