Talk

Advanced search

Formage frais, formage frais and more formage frais...

(11 Posts)
fireandice Tue 28-Jul-09 22:10:42

My 7and 1/2 month old dd won't eat anything but formage frais! I keep trying and offering her different things - but she will at best eat one or 2 teaspoons but most of the time not even that. I don't think it's because she wants sweet stuff only - I have given her banana porridge which is very sweet but she's not interested, nor in fruit. Also the formage frais I give her isn't very sweet at all - it has no added sugar, only a bit of fruit. She took a while to start eating at all but has now been on formage frais for 3 weeks or so. I end up giving her formage frais at breakfast and lunch as thats all she'll eat. She is still having milk though. I don't know how to encourage her to eat other things - anyone have any tips? Anyone been in a similar situation? My dd is also very little/slim - in the 2nd centile for weight but 35th centile for length.

hobbgoblin Tue 28-Jul-09 22:12:00

fromage!

onepieceoflollipop Tue 28-Jul-09 22:13:01

Maybe she isn't quite ready for "proper" weaning. Have you considered baby led weaning (lots of threads about it on here)

Keep on offering the same amount of milk feeds, as during the first year milk is the main source of nutrition.

fireandice Tue 28-Jul-09 22:22:06

Meant fromage!!!! It's taking over my life - I buy bucket loads of the stuff and can't even spell it!! grin

stainesmassif Tue 28-Jul-09 22:22:26

my ds is similar, getting most of his calories from sugar - it's mostly fruit puree with him, though he will take some veg. i have decided that i don't care what he eats (within reason, i haven't given him snickers yet) so long as he fills up and gets a new taste of something most days. mind you, he doesn't sleep through, and that's a whole different thread.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 28-Jul-09 22:26:12

staines my dd2 has only just started sleeping through. ime (limited to two dcs) the food issue doesn't make a major difference to the sleeping issue.

fireandice will she eat different brands, and/or yogurt? Perhaps gradually branching out may be worth a try. e.g. natural yogurt with fruit puree, the same proportion as the fromage frais?

sweetkitty Tue 28-Jul-09 22:27:15

She's still very young I woulnd't be too orried just yet as long as she is having plenty milk.

Do you eat with her i.e. highchair up at table for family meals? Babies love to watch you eating, give her little bits of whatever you are having (the healthy stuff) and let her play with it, explore it , mush it, some of it may even make it into her mouth (you will see evidence in nappy)

Good first finger foods are cooked carrot batons, sweet potato, chunky chip, potato wedges roasted with a little oil, anything chip sized, toast, banana, strawberries, just give her some on her highchair to play with.

sweetkitty Tue 28-Jul-09 22:28:37

totally agree with onepieceoflollipop, food and sleep are two different issues

Dalrymps Tue 28-Jul-09 22:38:23

I'd say she's very young and the best thing you can do is to not worry or stress about it.

My ds is bottom centile for weight, 9th for height. Is a pita to feed even though he is 21 months now. It took him aaaages to experiment with different textures. We stressed a lot and i'm sure it made him worse, if we;d just relaxed earlier on he might be a little further along now...

I would say let her play with the fromage frais, pour it on her tray and let her get messy. Think of as many ways as you can for her to explore taste and texture.

As another poster said, maybe try different brands of fromage frais and try and branch out from there. Try and think of similar foods and sort of link one to another for eg: fromage> different brand fromage>yogurt and fruit purree> fruit puree> fruit puree and custard etc etc

Some lo are just like this, she'll get there smile

fireandice Tue 28-Jul-09 22:43:43

thanks for your responses. Regarding sleep - she sleeps very well - through the night and has been doing so since she was 2 months old (I still wake her at 11pm for a bottle). Have tried giving her finger foods - but she never puts it in her mouth. Everything else goes in her mouth except food! have tried offering food i'm eating - not interested. It took her over 1 month to open her mouth and start eating something - before that when I initially started weaning she would just clamp her mouth shut and that was it. She is not a big foodie, never has been even with her milk. She will have the minimum she needs and thats it. But will continue to try... i guess she will start eating at some point.

Rhian82 Wed 29-Jul-09 09:25:26

My DS is the same with finger foods - just doesn't get them! He eats fine from a spoon, but anything he picks up just gets waved around and dropped, he literally never puts them in his mouth. But toys etc - straight in! He's 9 months, so it's not a huge deal at the moment but I'm starting to stress a bit as he needs to be able to feed himself at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now