Talk

Advanced search

Are strawberries ok for a 6 month old?

(11 Posts)
Hulla Mon 27-Jul-09 14:28:35

I just gave one to my dd and chewed and sucked it to a pulp then whinged when it had all gone so I passed her another.

Now my friend has just mentioned something about strawberries and allergies so I'm a bit worried.

FrogmellaMoonbeam Mon 27-Jul-09 14:33:04

Have heard that alot of children under 1yr can have a reaction to strawberries (DS did) but they do generally grow out of it after 1 apparently which again seems to be what DS has done.

Hulla Mon 27-Jul-09 14:50:35

Oh crap, 1st day of BLW and I've already cocked up!

Thanks #frogmella*

PrincessToadstool Mon 27-Jul-09 14:52:06

I gave my DS strawberries last summer, he was about 7 months old. Watch for a rash of course but if there is none then they are fine. My DS pulled one hell of a face at the taste but then decided they were quite nice

Hulla Mon 27-Jul-09 14:56:38

Oh thats reassuring, so if she's ok now she's ok to keep eating them? She seems to think they're gorgeous!

PrincessToadstool Mon 27-Jul-09 15:08:03

Well that's the assumption I worked on, AFAIK strawberries can cause a strong reaction but it would be immediate, so a rash from the juice or something.

Be thrilled that she is eating fruit, this year my DS is turning his nose up at anything other than 'bapples'

ThreadsDeadBabyThreadsDead Mon 27-Jul-09 15:10:10

Strawberies are best avoided before 1yr, id there is a family history of allergies, otherwise totally fine, both mine had them way before then.

HolidaysQueen Mon 27-Jul-09 15:21:26

If she's had no reaction then it's fine to keep offering them! TBH if there is no history of allergies in the family, then the govt guidelines are fine (very little they can't have from 6 months) and you shouldn't need to worry about anything else even if people tell you to avoid x, y and z.

Seona1973 Mon 27-Jul-09 16:40:32

from babycentre:

Seed fruits can occasionally cause an allergic reaction in children. Wait until your baby is six months before giving them. Allergic reactions to these types of fruit and vegetables are usually mild, and often just affect the mouth, causing some itching or a rash where the food touches the lips and mouth. This is called oral allergy syndrome.

crokky Mon 27-Jul-09 16:42:58

Strawberries are fine from 6 months as long as you watch for an allergic reaction. If no reaction, continue to give them.

Hulla Mon 27-Jul-09 19:34:31

Thanks everyone, that's really made me happy! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now