Talk

Advanced search

Breast milk query

(6 Posts)
Leedsmumof1 Mon 27-Jul-09 12:07:21

DD (6mo) has an allergic reaction to cow's milk so I'm using expressed breast milk for everything. I've noticed that when I mix it with baby rice, porridge, etc, these don't thicken but stay watery in consistency.

- Can someone with a more scientific brain explain why this is? I want to say 'enzymes' but don't really understand what's going on!

- Any suggestions for getting a bit more texture into milk and cereal based foods? Although she's getting the extra carbs, it's not really advancing her food skills to be feeding her what is effectively milk on a spoon.

Thanks in advance!

Leedsmumof1 Thu 30-Jul-09 11:31:51

bump smile

Chulita Thu 30-Jul-09 19:30:54

Would you be happy mixing mashed fruit into porridge or baby rice? DD has porridge every day but with different fruit mixed in - banana/tinned peaches/steamed apple etc you can make it as lumpy as you want and she'll be getting different flavours.
No idea why it stays runny, I found that baby rice would go solid but then turn runny again if left too long...very strange. It doesn't happen with cow's milk!

BertieBotts Thu 30-Jul-09 19:53:54

Do you know that the cereal stage is unneccessary? In fact no need for the spoon feeding stage at all if you want to skip it. Do a search for baby led weaning or BLW on here

MiniMarmite Thu 30-Jul-09 22:46:27

You're right - enzymes start breaking down the food I think (sorry I'm not absolutely sure either). Never sure why mixing breastmilk with things is so often recommended!

I was too lazy to express so just used to use water or fruit as Chilita suggests.

Bertie has a point too. I didn't do BLW specifically but DS prefers to pick up cereal with his fingers anyway!

Leedsmumof1 Sat 01-Aug-09 12:17:26

Making up porridge with fruit is a good idea, I'll try that - some of my purees have come out very runny! I've heard about BLW but am happier with the spoon-feeding route, though I'm beginning to mix in some finger foods as well (dd and I have different opinions on whether Weetabix is a finger food!). Thanks for the replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now