Talk

Advanced search

8mo - can I give cows milk as a drink with a meal?

(6 Posts)
Ceebee74 Thu 23-Jul-09 14:14:31

He currently has 4 bottles a day but is just about taking the recommended 18-20oz a day with these.

He has cows milk on his breakfast cereal - is it ok to give in a sippy cup with a meal?

Have just given him a cup of milk and he was drinking far more than he drinks water (he is not very well at the moment and has been sick 2 days in a row so want to keep him hydrated so just want to get any liquids down him at the mo)

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 23-Jul-09 18:29:54

I thought it was 6 months in cooking and on cereal for cows milk but 12 months for a drink?

Do you mean he drinks the cows milk more than formula?

Ceebee74 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:29:30

No - he drinks the cows milk more than the water I normally give him with his meals.

sazlocks Thu 23-Jul-09 19:38:56

not really - apparently it can stop iron absorption from food so personally I wouldn't. I think the recommendation is not to give cows milk as a drink til past 12 months.
Oh but having read your post properly it probably won't harm for a few days til he's back on his feet.

digitalgirl Thu 23-Jul-09 19:45:06

I thought it was tea that stopped iron absorption.

I've been giving my ds cows milk as a drink since he was about 7 months. And from 8 months he had a cup of it during the day when I was working parttime. His main source of milk is still breastmilk but he won't drink formula or ebm when I'm not around and I thought cows milk was better than no milk. He loves it now! Have had no probs health wise or any comments from hv when I mentioned it.

sazlocks Thu 23-Jul-09 20:12:51

www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4117080

link to DH weaning guidance which mentions the milk as a drink guidance.

Digitaigirl - think you are right about tea and iron. I think I am getting confused with the reason why milk isn't recommended as a drink until after 12 months which I think is something to do with lower levels of iron than formula or breastmilk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now