Talk

Advanced search

Weaning.

(27 Posts)
Shellbell Sat 21-May-05 17:34:09

Hi everyone. My son is 4 months old today and people keep asking me when I'm going to start weaning. Ideally I would like him to be weaned before I go back to work in two months but I just don't know where to start. Please help!

Magscat Tue 07-Jun-05 20:24:23

Hey Shellbell. Good to hear from you. Are you getting the sleeping thing sorted now?

I went back to work this week (dd is 5m & 1wk)and so far still exclusively bf. I asked my HV if it really is as important as they say to wait strictly till 6 months before giving solids and she advised that all the research now shows that it is worth waiting. I can't see that a week or two would make much difference but I'm planning on leaving it a few weeks.

As for how to start, baby rice is usually recommended but ds never liked it (tastes like cardboard). Ds really liked root veg (potato, carrot etc) & banana/apple/pear - all of which mushed up finely with a fork should be ok for a 6 month old. You can mix it with your milk/formula if it helps & just give him a tiny bit on a tea spoon & see how he reacts. He'll eventually get the idea of swallowing it and you'll soon know if he wants more.

Re. Advice books - have faith in your instinct as a Mum -you are a book addict
(Although, the odd recipe book never did any harm!)

Magscat Tue 07-Jun-05 20:26:30

Ruthie - I'm pretty sure that breast milk is more calorific than first weaning foods anyway so if he's getting hungry & waking earlier then weaning won't necessarily help. It may well be just a growth spurt. I'm not an expert though - have a look in the archives to see if there's anymore on this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »