Talk

Advanced search

why can't you give chocolate to babies under 1yo?

(9 Posts)
titferbrains Tue 21-Jul-09 09:59:51

ie. choc cake? Just wondering if it's because they can't digest it, or if it's because they shouldn't have added sugar.

I have given up worrying about salt and sugar because DD eats so very little of what I give her. I'm assuming she'll come round to food at some point and it's best to just offer her a bit of things rather than killing myself over forgetting about salt etc.

ruddynorah Tue 21-Jul-09 10:01:04

you can if you want. you can give anything at all if you want. just some people avoid sugar for the first year and all sweet things in fact. you don't have to.

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 10:04:32

its just the sugar thing and is just a recommendation
mine were having chocolate buttons at about nine months iirc cos older siblings were

LIZS Tue 21-Jul-09 10:04:36

oops bit late to tell me now they are 11 and 7! Europeans add chocolate to baby milk and cereal - not my preference but their kids seem fine on the whole.

HarlotOTara Tue 21-Jul-09 10:05:06

I was told by a hospital dietician to give dd2 chocolate as it is high in calories. Dd2 had serious health issues at the time that meant she wasn't eating, DD1 had no added sugar until she was almost 3. Has made no difference ultimately.

ButterbeerAndLemon Tue 21-Jul-09 10:05:08

You can. AFAIK, anyway.

Rhian82 Wed 22-Jul-09 09:26:28

Yeah I'm sure some of the jars of baby desserts have chocolate in anyway. We're trying not to give DS sugar for now, but there's no medical reason why, just our preference.

MIAonline Wed 22-Jul-09 09:56:16

IMO, if your DD is showing signs of being a fussy eater, you want to be cutting back on the sweeter things rather than not worrying about them, otherwise you might find that all the things she does end up wanting to eat are sweet.

titferbrains Wed 22-Jul-09 20:12:08

MIA thanks for the tip, I tried doing this today actually, and she ate some peas, omelette and took her first bite of chicken!! So I'm delighted. Will keep trying. I'm a bit impressed that she went for the chook, it was from my spicy thai noodle soup leftovers, with coriander, ginger, coriander and coconut!!

She isn't too bad, it's just we need her to put onb weight and she only likes to nibble fuit and veg really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now