Talk

Advanced search

BLW and returning to work?

(6 Posts)
lulabellarama Sun 19-Jul-09 21:09:09

Hello,

Sadly I have to go back to work for 3 days a week when DS reaches 6months. I really like the idea of BLW but don't think my childminder will be on board.
Has anyone else done it at the same time as going back to work?

I'm also worried because DS refuses a bottle. I will continue breastfeeding before and after work but I'm worried he won't have any milk during the day

It's all making me really sad because I would absolutely love to continue exclusively breastfeeding and do the whole BLW thing with him but I can't afford more time off.

Any advice?

Wigeon Sun 19-Jul-09 22:02:56

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but why won't your childminder - who you are presumbaly paying good money for - carry out your wishes regarding the feeding of your child? Surely one of the main tasks of a childminder is to keep your child fed and watered in the way you see fit?

Hope someone who's been there can offer you more practical advice too!

lulabellarama Mon 20-Jul-09 07:08:10

Perhaps I am underestimating her. I am perhaps more concerned that it will be too much change for DS if weaning and being left happen at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Wigeon Mon 20-Jul-09 08:46:59

Well, if you have to leave him at 6 months to go back to work, then he is going to be weaned some way or another and not sure that BLW would be more of a change than the puree route!

There must be some BLW experts out there who can offer a bit more specific advice! (we were probably more on the puree end of the spectrum although I have followed some of the BLW principles too).

spicemonster Mon 20-Jul-09 09:25:36

I went back to work 3 days a week when my DS was 7 months old. He got BLW food at the nursery (it's easy for them to do) so I don't think you should worry about that. I don't know how old your DS is but the refusing bottles thing can change - just keep trying. Also, get someone else to give him a bottle, not you. You will probably find that he is happy to take a bottle when you're not around. You can express milk and give it to your CM if you would prefer.

tbg Wed 22-Jul-09 15:28:52

has anyone else found they have managed to combine blw with pureed as have to send my 6month old to nursery 3 days a week and they won't do it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now