Talk

Advanced search

I am whittling about giving pesto to a nine month old...

(17 Posts)
fothergill Sun 19-Jul-09 20:37:37

Um, that says it all really - shes eating what we are minus salt really and this one would be easy for me to do for her and dd1 but wondering about nut allergy/salt content. Am I being too cautious?

BintOfBohemia Sun 19-Jul-09 20:41:24

Ah, I've given pesto to my baby, he loved it. (He also pretty much eats what we eat.) It's not like they eat loads of it. Same with Marmite too, v salty but used sparingly.

sazlocks Sun 19-Jul-09 20:42:46

I would just look for the lowest salt one you can get or make your own.

ilikeyoursleeves Sun 19-Jul-09 20:43:54

I gave my DS pesto from a realy early age prob about 9ish months too. He only gets it once in a while so I wouldn't worry about too much salt. I have also given DS peanut butter since before 1 year old too and he loves it, full of protien!

Mamulik Sun 19-Jul-09 21:05:24

Good healthy food - as long as baby like it so give it to her

Ceebee74 Sun 19-Jul-09 21:09:43

I have been giving it to my 8 month old for about a month now - you don't really put that much on do you?

He loves sucking it off the pasta grin

diedandgonetodevon Sun 19-Jul-09 21:12:12

My 9mo DS loves pasta with pesto on. I've not worried about the salt in it as he doesn't have it very often and otherwise doesn't have anything salty.
Anything in moderation is fine with me.

goldrock Sun 19-Jul-09 21:28:15

yes, another vote here, my 16 mth old loves the sundried tomato pesto with pasta. I hadn't thought about the salt content but I'm sure its OK in moderation

goldrock Sun 19-Jul-09 21:29:14

yes, another vote here, my 16 mth old loves the sundried tomato pesto with pasta. I hadn't thought about the salt content but I'm sure its OK in moderation

Nezzi Mon 20-Jul-09 12:20:45

Gave it to my 10 month old yesterday, I never thought about the salt to be honest. He seemed to like it so thumbs up from us.

Fufulina Mon 20-Jul-09 19:07:52

My DD (now 7 months) had spaghetti and pesto as one of her first meals at 6 months and she loved it. She systematically sucked the pesto off every strand. V cute to watch.

BikeRunSki Mon 20-Jul-09 19:17:43

My ten month old has it too. Like someone said, it's not like you use loads. As for Marmite - yes is very salty, he had it on toast sometimes. Vegemite less salty.

trixymalixy Mon 20-Jul-09 19:26:29

Nope it has nuts in it. I would avoid.

blowninonabreeze Mon 20-Jul-09 19:28:52

We do but I make it.

If you don't have a family history or reason to be cautious about nuts (atopy/asthma etc) I'd try it

cookielove Mon 20-Jul-09 19:28:56

pesto without nuts And there are lots more out there, if nuts is the issue

Rhian82 Wed 22-Jul-09 09:24:09

My nine-month old has been having it on jacket potatoes for ages now, he loves it. Has it about three times a week, but doesn't have loads so I think the salt content is fine. He has very little else with salt in.

fothergill Fri 24-Jul-09 12:45:45

thanks for replies, I reckon pesto is on the menu then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now