Talk

Advanced search

Easy veggie meals for a 9 month old?

(7 Posts)
Rhian82 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:41:36

I'm struggling with good ideas of what to feed my DS. I'm really not a food person - DH does all the cooking and kitchen stuff, but I'm at home with DS just the two of us for two days a week, so need stuff I can do. I got very reliant on jars and am trying to get away from that, but so far I have jacket potato and pesto, pitta and hummus, mashed banana, and that's it!

It doesn't help that DH is terrified of DS choking - he has a bit of a phobia of things like that, so I think would happily see him on purees for the next six months.

It also needs to be stuff that can be made in short bursts, as there's nowhere safe for DS in the kitchen and he cries if I leave the room for more than a few minutes!

dizzymare Thu 16-Jul-09 22:46:05

What about cauliflower cheese, but mashed up?

drinkyourmilk Thu 16-Jul-09 22:51:05

how about soup?

we love:lentil & carrot
pea and courgette
butternut squash

Or we chop up veg and roast with garlic and herbs and oil (add par cooked pots/ raw sweet pot for complete meal)

soup/baby pasta is perfectly safe mixed with sauce (we have cheese sauce, pesto, or tom/veg/mascapone-blended)

will he sit in a highchair with you beside him? If so you could make savory muffins/scones 'with' him - ie you make and he gets a bit of mixture at each stage to gunge up and lick at

Do you use quorn/sim? You can buy frozen chopped spinach - defrost some of this in a pan, add cooked quorn/sim to sauce and serve with cous cous.

hth

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 16-Jul-09 23:07:13

DS is a fan of this - it's very easy to make too, doesn't need much supervision.

I sometimes put DS in his buggy in the kitchen, he happily sits and hits various bits of it with a couple of wooden spoons.

Roast some butternut squash and red onion in the oven - I drizzle with olive oil and shove in some rosemary. It needs about 35 mins in the oven at 180 in a fan oven.
Cook some macaroni
Make a white sauce and then stir in some cheese (I use cheddar, or gruyere normally)
Drain the pasta and mix it with the roasted veg and sauce.

This is actually really yummy, DH and I eat it as well as DS. You can either serve it as is, or sprinkle some grated cheese on top and bake it in the oven for 20 mins.
It freezes and reheats really well too.

Rhian82 Sat 18-Jul-09 17:20:04

Ooh thanks for the suggestions. Haven't had much success with pasta but will carry on trying - it's the major part of mine and DH's diet so he's got to like it eventually!

Is it okay to feed them soft-boiled egg? I thought about trying egg with soldiers, but I'm not sure about the runny yolk, any idea what the guidance is?

lemonpuff Sat 18-Jul-09 18:35:53

Mashed potatoes, cheese and chopped spinached....yummy

pigleychez Sun 19-Jul-09 16:41:40

Macaroni cheese

Cheesy mash

Fish pie- Fish, cheese sauce topped with Mashed potato

Can you tell DD likes Cheese?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now