Talk

Advanced search

BLW didn't go so well today

(15 Posts)
lobsters Wed 15-Jul-09 20:40:05

DD had milk softened Weatabix for breakfast, and really wasn't interested in eating it. Just messed about a bit, wasn't interested in a yoghurt either, tried both spoon feeding or loaded spoon. We didn't have time for lunch as she had a long lunchtime nap and we hadn't had breakfast until 10.

For dinner I made meatballs and pasta. DD was tucking into the meatballs and then suddenly really started crying, I had cooled in in the fridge and blown on it, but I'm worried it was still hot in the middle and may have burnt her throat or mouth. She would still chomp on a stick of cucumber, but there were still occasional tears, and the tears continued through the bottle at bedtime.

I'm going to have to figure out what to give her that's not cucumber, rice cakes or roasted veg, but am nervous about hot food again.

Tinfoil Wed 15-Jul-09 23:03:13

Tommee Tippee do some heat-sensing weaning spoons. You test the food with the spoon, and if the spoon turns yellow the food is too hot.

greensnail Thu 16-Jul-09 09:41:31

bless her, hope her mouth's feeling better today if it did get burnt. Its difficult gettting food cooled down enough sometimes isn't it - especially things that can be too hot in the middle still like meatballs. I tend to give DD something cold at the start of a meal to keep her occupied until I'm sure the hot food has cooled down enough. We find things like pieces of chicken and pork, cool fairly easily - especially if its in a stick shape. Pieces of steamed vegetable and chunks of jacket potato are popular here too.

If you want to stick with cold food for a bit then maybe you could try other salad things, like tomato and spring onion (dd sits and eats a whole spring onion hmm). Lumps of cheese are good. Also toast cools quite quickly, and is our alternative to rice cakes.

BertieBotts Thu 16-Jul-09 09:52:36

I tend to cut things thin and leave them by an open window while I serve up the rest of the family's meals. I will also test things on my lip before giving them to DS, and always try right in the middle where it will be hottest, cutting into it if necessary. Probably a bit paranoid but he did burn his hand once on a chip DH gave him without testing it first!

lobsters Thu 16-Jul-09 10:33:36

Ta for those, she had been merrily chomping on cucumber until the meatballs and pasta were ready. I've been putting her food in the fridge to cool it down. I'm guessing meatballs just retain their heat in the middle even if they are cool on the outside (and this was half a meatball).

She like her melon for breakfast, even if i'm not sure how much she ate. I hadn't given her spring onion so far, but might try it.

I'm probably being a bit tough on myself as she was so upset yesterday. Need to remind myself purrees get hot in places too Might do bagel pizza again, that was a big hit with baby and mummy

greensnail Thu 16-Jul-09 17:07:34

don't beat yourself up, these things happen, and i'm sure she's now forgotten all about it

ChocOrange05 Thu 16-Jul-09 18:33:21

It could be she was frustrated? I am doing BLW as much as possible with DS but sometimes he gets frustrated and is only satisfied when I spoon feed him. Just a thought?

Oh and as another alternative to rice cakes/bread/bagels - potato cakes are a big hit with my DS as they are a great consistency (a bit easier to mush in the mouth) for toothless babies! grin

MrsBadger Thu 16-Jul-09 19:36:45

I used to put a plate in the freezer while I was cooking - dishing up onto a cold plate cools the food down really fast

Rhian82 Thu 16-Jul-09 19:56:03

It might not be the heat - my DS has suddenly started crying for no reason in the middle of a mouthful when there's no possibility of it being too hot. Sometimes they just do that! I take him out of his highchair, cuddle him for a bit and then see if he'll go back, or maybe let him sit on my lap for the rest of the meal.

lobsters Thu 16-Jul-09 20:43:43

Glad to know it's not just me that gets crying in the middle of a mouthful. I'm beginning to think teething might be involved, today we've had really upset crying for no apparent reason a few times. It's the type of cry you normally get when she's really upset or slightly hurt.

greensnail Fri 17-Jul-09 09:13:13

ooh fab idea chocorange - i love potato cakes. Can't remember when i last had one

lobsters Fri 17-Jul-09 11:53:58

How do you do potato cakes? We have some left over mash from last night.

Also can you give babies pate?

Fufulina Fri 17-Jul-09 19:14:15

Did she bite herself maybe? My DD can get a bit over-excited and stuff her hand in her mouth and bite before she's taken her hand away. And she's got 4 teeth and it hurts (certainly hurts me!).

MonkeyMargot Sun 19-Jul-09 18:01:50

Another winner with my LO is leftover spaghetti and sauce, chopped up a bit and added to an omlette with e.g. aubergine, meat. Delish! (I just had some too...)

MonkeyMargot Sun 19-Jul-09 18:08:10

Lobsters I've just come back from 2 months in France, and the Baby Plumster ate Pate with us several times a week. I have to tell you, BLW in the sunny outdoors is fab in terms of the mess etc!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now