Talk

Advanced search

new to solids and slight rash round mouth

(6 Posts)
babber Sat 11-Jul-09 18:37:42

Just started BLW with DS this week - hes taken to it really well and seems to be enjoying sharing mealtimes with us...
have noticed a slight rash round his mouth after last few meals... hes had different things to eat each time so can't pinpoint it to a specific food. just wondering if its just a case of his skin having to get used to having food smeared all over it or if i should be worried about allergies?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 21:14:14

Sounds like he's bashing himself in the mouth with his food and missing - DS got this to start with. If it has gone after an hour, it's probably fine.

babyOcho Sat 11-Jul-09 21:32:40

DD had this when she started as well (and hands as well). I think you're right and it's the skin adjusting to having stuff on it, and being wiped a lot more.

Her skin adjusted pretty quickly.

Fufulina Fri 17-Jul-09 19:21:22

Same here - babber. My DD got rashes every time she ate (or played...) when we started BLW. I think it lasted about a week (if that - although I was really worried at the time that she was the most allergic child in the world!).

girlsyearapart Fri 17-Jul-09 19:36:44

Our dd has many allergies. Some only cause rash around mouth and our excema nurse sugested vaseline around the mouth as a barrier. It mainly happens with fruit. So you could try that if it continues.

Jojay Sat 18-Jul-09 15:11:14

My ds2 gets this - raw tomatoes are his biggest trigger but other things set it off too.

I gave him an omelette once or twice, which caused a slight reddening, then the third time he had it it developed into itchy hives which bled when he scratched them.

HV said to avoid eggs for the time being, so if it seems that certain foods trigger it more than others it may be worth avoiding them for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now