Talk

Advanced search

We are now weaning, am sure h/v makes it up as she goes along!!

(13 Posts)
Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 11:14:32

I don't know whether I am coming or going.

DS (23+3 actual, but 7 wks prem) has been a nightmare feeder ever since we got him home from hospital (he was 4 weeks old). He never takes the amount of milk "he is supposed to" (eg. rule of thumb being 2.5oz for every lb of weight), but as he has always gained weight reasonably well the h/v has never been bothered despite me worrying. She has also banged on her "don't wean until 6 months drum" every time I have ever seen her. However, DS hit a personal best last week by only taking an ounce at a feed and as if by magic his weight has slowed dramatically, this week he only put 2oz on.......... h/v gave these pearls of wisdowm: "Have you thought about trying any weaning foods....?" WHAAATTTTT?????????? She says he is clearly not taking enough milk (really, thanks, I hadn't noticed!!) so I should start weaning and to really press on with it. So now it seems we are weaning. There's no wonder why some new mums think there head is going to explode.

Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 11:15:55

Sorry, should say 'wisdom' and 'there head' should be their head - I was rant typing!!

PrincessToadstool Thu 09-Jul-09 11:18:17

I don't quite understand. Are you saying you're weaning because you've been told to?

Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 11:25:43

In all honesty I don't know what the friggin hell I'm doing. It is getting to the point now where I dread feeding time because we always hit a barrier at about 3 oz (if we are lucky), my already tiny little boy's weight gain has slowed down, I'm in tears most of the time because I feel like I can't feed him properly. I don't know if he's ready for weaning, there is so much conflicting advice on so-called signs... I'm desperate.

TheProvincialLady Thu 09-Jul-09 11:32:02

If it was me I would want to talk to a paed about it, especially as your ds was prem. I can completely understand why this is stressing yousad

Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 12:09:28

The problem we have is that DS is such a contented, happy baby who has always gained weight easily so every time we see the Consultant he is more than happy with him and has said not to worry about the amount of milk he is taking as every baby is different. Bliss website recommends weaning between 5-7 months for prem babies so I don't think we'll harm him by trying it, I just can't see him wanting more food, he's not bothered about his milk for God's sake!!

nappyaddict Thu 09-Jul-09 12:13:52

Jack As long as there is a gain that's all that matters - it doesn't matter if it's a tiny gain.

Can he sit up in a highchair? If so put a few bits of vegetables on the tray and see if he can pick them up, put them in his mouth, chew and swallow them successfully. If he can do all that I would say he is ready. A lot of babies will be able to get the food in their mouth but they won't actually be able to swallow it at this age.

TheProvincialLady Thu 09-Jul-09 12:14:23

Oh bless you. At least you have a good consultant on your side.

Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 12:36:06

Thanks for your replies.

Lulumama Thu 09-Jul-09 12:39:16

i would jsut stick with milk for now
in terms of volume alone , a small milk feed is more filling and calorific than some mashed up veg

he has still gained weight despite taking a reduced amount of milk

weight gain cna plateua for a while

i really don't think that introducing food at this stage will actually help him gain

i would speak to a pead. first. 16 weeks corrected age is before the 17 weeks bare minimum age that is recommened for weaning, with the advice being to aim for around 26 weeks.

trying to shovel food into a baby who is not that keen on feeding is going to make you all a lot more distressed

Jack2601 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:13:46

Thanks lulumama. The advice I've been given is that prem babies don't fall within the usual weaning "guidelines" (obviously it depends on the actual gestation and any other problems etc), I've been looking at Bliss. Also, I wouldn't try to shovel food into him at all, if he doesn't want it I can't force him, and won't force him. The same with his milk, I won't battle with him.

Lulumama Thu 09-Jul-09 14:24:45

no, i realise you weren;t about to start shovelling !! i had a DD who did the same, fed little and often, and lost weight. moved down a centile . it is a worry. until around aged 2.5 she preferred milk to food aswell. she is almost 4 and still eats little and often and will just not eat sometimes. some babies and children are small with a maatching appetite

pigleychez Sat 11-Jul-09 13:12:40

My DD has also always been very hit and miss with her milk.
We too used to get to about 3ozs then refuse any more, enough to fill her hunger but that was it.. She would still happily go for 3/4 hours before another feed.
I too worried about it and tried so many ways to get her to have more. She too was slowly putting on weight and on about the 25th centile.
In the end we guessed, she was happy enough, putting on weight (albiet slowly) and relaxed thinking she would take what she needed and always offered her a full bottle in case she wanted more.
She went through phases of downing full bottles then phases of next to nothing.

We started BLW at 6 mths and shes stayed long and lean. Shes always been a slim baby so that obviously her build.
Shes now 11mths and eats a huge amount of food but is still only 18lbs!

Personally id stick with the milk for know. He will get more calories from the milk than any food right now however much he drinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now