Talk

Advanced search

first tastes & jars...

(7 Posts)
2point4pets Mon 06-Jul-09 16:58:43

My DD (5.5 months) has been eating sweet potato and butternut squash over the last week, and is loving it (homemade, just steamed & blended).
I am travelling next week, will take 3 days to get where I'm going - NZ via Dubai.
I had a look at my local supermarket today to buy some jars or pouches of very basic food, ie JUST squash, or potato or sweet potato so we can carry on throughout the journey, but I could only find things that were already blended, like 'squash and fruit' or 'sweet pot and chicken'.
Would it be OK to introduce these blended options, even though I haven't intro'd meat or fruit as yet, and dont plan to for a few more weeks, or is the best idea to just pause the food for 3 days until we get to NZ and resume veg puree when I get there.
I kind of got the impression that the jars are pretty bland in any case. Is there any brand which is more mild, or better for first tastes?
any advice appreciated! cheers!

BigJyc Mon 06-Jul-09 23:32:22

Hi,

When my little girl was 5.5 months and got occasional babyfood jars, she developed a palette for 3 particular flavours, and it's a struggle trying to get her to eat normally.

If you can, steer clear of jars. They are very handy though, and I found the Hipp Organic amd Ellas to be the best.

Introducing fruit is absolutely fine. Apple and Pear was really popular with my girl, and bananas. She prefered them to munch on rather than mashed.

Good luck for the journey

sarahrhianna Tue 07-Jul-09 09:03:08

you may not get the jars through customs. We went to florida last year and took jars through edinburgh airport no problem but was made to taste them all at gatwick. I pointed out that they would no longer be sterile once opened (milk cartons too) and no good for the 8 hour flight. angry

In the end they let us through with a couple unopened as i kicked up such a stink but had to buy more at boots after the security check. They didn't have a great choice either.
Sorry not really what you are asking but thought it would be better to warn you!

waytoomuchchocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 09:23:15

plum baby range (boots, tescos and waitrose stock it i think) do a sweet potato and b'nut squash in a pouch and in a jar - nothing else added like fruit etc.

we travelled on a plane recently and the airport staff made me taste the milk but not the food.

good luck!

waytoomuchchocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 09:45:02

to answer the other bit of the question, i'd guess after 1 week she won't miss the few mouthfuls she's getting (my ds used to slurp the odd mouthful at that stage and we stopped and started for a few weeks grin, so if you want to hold off whilst travelling i think that would be fine and then start again when you get to NZ.

she might be a bit all over the place with the long flights/time differences anyway, so i guess i'm saying don't worry about it if you can't find the right food - you're right not to introduce too much new stuff all in one go - although i think bit of pear/apple/banana would be fine (my ds had quite a lot of that at same time as veg and didn't get sweet tooth - yet!)

2point4pets Tue 07-Jul-09 19:19:03

thanks for this - I hadn't considered having to open them at security, I know that different airports have various interpretations of the security rules. argh! still BFing at least so not all bad, but travelling with an infant is hard enough to organise without having all the plans scuppered at security!
found the plum ones today (thanks Waytoomuchchoc!) so we will start having a taste before the journey.
cheers, all.

nappyaddict Thu 09-Jul-09 12:26:21

Best to ring the airport and check if you will have to taste milk cartons or baby food. If they say yes I think you can pack them in your suitcase?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now